Guild GAD-30 GAS is killin' me

EvilTwin

• Members

After playing so many bad Chinese acoustics, I never thought we'd see decent acoustics of that origin in my lifetime...let alone exceptional ones.

I played a GAD-30 (000-size, sunburst, rosewood b/s, pickup) today. $799.

How the hell do they do it? I've played Larrivees and Martins that were well over $2K that couldn't compare to the lush timbre of this guitar.

Had I not already gotten a GAD-25 dread, I'd have gotten it on the spot.

I've always tried to be a "buy American" guy...but at these prices, with this quality...

China's probably already set up to be the next economic world superpower. Now they're building better guitars, too. :eek:

• Members

If I was Martin,Taylor,or Gibson,Larryvee,whoever, I'd be sweatin fretwire over the Guild GAD 30. I know, I bought one and played a few others. What I've wanted to hear in an OM sized guitar for years. The only thing that bugs me about the GAD's is the neck angle is set low with a real thin bridge so not sure how they'll do in the long haul but for now they are smokin the competition. Fretwork isn't 100% but I'll pay for a fret dress and still have lots of money left over with a better sounding/playing guitar.

The new Guilds made here in Tacoma,WA,USA are doin themselves proud too and are shaming the US competitors in my book. They seem to be hundreds $ less and the quality/sound seems to be up with Collings or handbuilt. Look out for Guild ...import or domestic...they might be takin over.

• Members

Love the Guilds! I have a crimson red F50 built in Tacoma and I can't get enough of it. Its finally starting to open up and it seems like it sounds better every time I play it. I can't wait to try the new contemporary series :thu:

• Members

Love the Guilds! I have a crimson red F50 built in Tacoma and I can't get enough of it. Its finally starting to open up and it seems like it sounds better every time I play it. I can't wait to try the new contemporary series
:thu:

Cool guitar!

I was told some Tacoma-plant Guilds are coming into the shop I visisted, and I can't wait to try them out.

• Members

Cool guitar!

I was told some Tacoma-plant Guilds are coming into the shop I visisted, and I can't wait to try them out.

Hey thanks! I really have enjoyed it. Have fun trying out the Guilds! But be careful...............you might just have to buy one :D

• Members

EvilTwin,

I understand your GAS after playing a Guild GAD 30R yesterday. It had been a while since I played a GAD series guitar. That was the first time I played the rosewood version. Wow! What a nice guitar. I was blown away. IMO the rosewood model sounds better than the mahogany version.

I hope you are able to get your new Guild ASAP.:thu:

• Members

Hudman, the GAD 30 in rosewood was one I was looking into before jumping on the Cumberland.Since your familiar with both how would you say the two compare as far as sound, quality, etc. I still plan to check them and a few others out at GC before the 30 day return policy runs out but that's a bit of a haul.

• Members

Hudman, the GAD 30 in rosewood was one I was looking into before jumping on the Cumberland.Since your familiar with both how would you say the two compare as far as sound, quality, etc. I still plan to check them and a few others out at GC before the 30 day return policy runs out but that's a bit of a haul.

They are different animals. It's hard to compare the two.

The Guild has stronger mids, better response to a lighter touch and excellent note seperation. It is a really nice fingerstyle guitar. The 1 3/4" nut gives you nice spacing on the fret board and at the saddle. It reminds me of a Martin OM-21 I played a while ago.

The Cumberland jumbo has a deeper bass response and better volume. It also has a more narrow nut and a faster playing neck (IMO). I think the Cumberland sounds good with fingers, but it lacks the note seperation, quick response and strong mids that you can get from an OM. The Cumberland shines when playing with a pick or playing lead runs. OM guitars tend to produce a "break up" tone when pushed too hard with a pick. Jumbos seem to sound great no matter how hard you push them.

I guess it depends on your style of playing. I think it's good to have a strummer and a finger picker.

• Members

Hmmm. Looks like I have to buy two guitars
:D

I like to have at least 2 different acoustic guitars. It allows me to mix it up once in a while. Switching guitars inspires me to play different things.

Archived