Opinions on this guitar please

n4vgm

• Members

I'm with exit. I'd go for a Guild GAD for that much cash, then just put in a K&K Pure Western.

However, only your ears and hands can decide this. Go find a store that stocks Washburn guitars and play a few (even if they're not exactly the same model, you'll get a feel for the brand).

• Members

I have a George's Music nearby that stocks Washburn so maybe they have something close. Don't remember seeing this model though. I did own a Washburn electric (Hawk) about 20 years ago and loved the neck on that. I do prefer thin neck guitars, current electric is a '97 Ibanez AS80. This EA20 just has a "jazz" vibe about the cutaway that I like.

• Members

This makes me guilty of sweeping overgeneralization, but I've never been too fond of Washburns.

I love the lower end Washburns. I don't think you can get a better guitar for under 200 then what Washburn offers. That said you are looking at a much larger price point. If you are looking for that style of guitar you can pick up a Epiphone PR5-E for less then half the price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-PR5E-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=518640

• Members

Anyone owned/played one of these? I really like the look of it and the reviews seem consistantly high. Thanks!

I personally don't put much stock in the reviews people post on the guitars. Everyone that posts a review owns the guitar and most of them wouldn't have bought it unless they liked it. Prime example is the review on the lower end Fenders (DG) which I have played and thing sound horrible.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-DG8S-Acoustic-Guitar-Value-Pack?sku=510705

• Members

Thanks for the input. I saw the PR5-E but I'm not to keen on that one. I did try the HC review database but something must have happened to it recently as most models seem to have far fewer reviews than like 6 months ago. Is that related to the buyout?

I do try to read between the lines on reviews, sometimes a few key words will tip you off to the knowledge level of the reviewer. Still, it is information that can be added to the overall decision.

The other aspect is the pickup system. The Washburn in question says it comes with a B-Band. I'm not up on acoustic pickups but isn't that one better than average?

• Members

Thanks Keith, I'll check the clip later (at work now). What I was concerned about the Epiphone was the neck thickness. I have not seen one around here to play.

Don't know if you were looking for thin or thick necks but the Epi has a thin almost electric style neck. If I was Freeman I would have the exact measurements handy but I'm not so I don't really know. Mine is a older model (5-6 years) and I don't know if they changed anything since then.

• Members

Nice song Keith - That's why this board is so great - Real info from the real world. So the PR5-E is on the list. Including cases the price difference is $300 less than the Washburn. I'm just starting to look so something else may show up. I did play a Martin A/E at George's about 2 weeks ago. Don't remember the model but it went for about $570 (plus case?). I was surprised at the neck, I thought Martins were harder to play and boy was it LOUD! No cutaway though and the PR5-E in Vintage Sunburst has "the look".

Anyway, thanks again.

• Members

Anyone owned/played one of these? I really like the look of it and the reviews seem consistantly high. Thanks!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-EA20SDL-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=515329

I have a very early version (79 or 80) of that style....thin body AE cutaway solid top lam B/S from Washburn. It was my only guitar for long time. It sounded great plugged in and was super when set up for slide. But it's a bit overbuilt for my bare finger style and - as you would expect with the thin body- is a bit muddy in the bass when played strictly acoustic.

....edit. just took it off the wall and played it. Aside from the bass, tone is real bluesy. Still not very lively bass. I need to lower the saddle and play it more often....or raise the saddle and play more slide.:confused:

• Members

I've never tried that one but their Cumberland is one of the sweetest sounding gits I've tried regardless of the fact that it's also got the laminated (or is it lamented :D ) quilted maple sides/back.I wish I kept the one I got from Bro Bob.I'm not sure if it was the Buzz Feinten tuning system or what but it sounded beautiful.

• Members

Why buy any guitar on-line??? If you can't hear & feel the instrument 1st, how will you have any clue if you'll like it or how it compares to other models you might consider..... personally I have never played a Washburn that I liked but it's all subjective.... if it sounds good.... Good Luck!

Archived