Anyone use Dean Markley Blue Steels?

T0MCAT

• Members

Anyone use Dean Markley Blue Steels? I put some on my acoustic the other day, and I just love them . . . nice warm sound, no metallic coldness, good volume. . . Most strings sound the same to me, but these kind of stand out. Come to think of it, I had some Dean Markley coated strings a while back, the ones with the shell on the pack, and I liked those a lot too. Guess I

• Members

I've been planning to add DM Alchemys and GHS and EXP's (and a couple of others maybe) to the Great String Test one of these days, but work and play and guitars keep getting in the way.

I did try the Alchemys once and remembered not being crazy about them (but don't recall why and it is unlike me to say "DM's suck" without some sort of big involved test) and I've never tried the Blue Steels. The Alchemys sure do have a weird color too

• Members

I tried the Blue Steels awhile back and can't recall the tone that well. I took them off after about an hour as it felt like I was playing with razor wire. Not sure why, but they were the most uncomfortable string I ever played.

On the other hand (no pun intended), I love the PB Alchemies on most of my guitars if I want a coated string.

• Members

I've been planning to add DM Alchemys and GHS and EXP's (and a couple of others maybe) to the Great String Test one of these days, but work and play and guitars keep getting in the way.

I did try the Alchemys once and remembered not being crazy about them (but don't recall why and it is unlike me to say "DM's suck" without some sort of big involved test) and I've never tried the Blue Steels. The Alchemys sure do have a weird color too

I think I liked the DM Alchemys because they weren't slimey feeling like those elixers, those feel extremely weird, and greasy and sound metalic.

The Blue steels are on my Ovation, so maybe that's the difference.

• Members

I tried the blue steels once, and it seemed that the strings corroded faster than others; I had a string break within the month of stringing them. They sounded excellent but I prefer Earthwoods (when I can find them) or D'addario phosphor bronxze.

• Members

I've used Blue Steels on my Epi and I liked 'em. I'd have them on it now, but the last time I needed strings I picked up some Martin SP's at the local store (they don't carry DM.) They're on my list of strings to try on my new Larri. I also use Blue Steel electrics on my Strat. Count me as a fan!

Markus

• Members

I tried Blue steels once (on my H-bird) and they felt/sounded dry and raspy. Never had a set of new strings that I disliked as much as those. But I love the coated Alchemys--much prefer them to Elixirs (nano or poly). I think D'Addario now makes a coated string too, and I'm going to try those for next string change.

Just for a change, I put Martin Silk&Steels on my H-bird last time. Pretty nice! Not bright or chimey, but sweet and full mellow tone. I recall in the (distant) past that S&S strings seemed to not hold up as long as 80/20s or PBs. We'll see.

• Members

I just finished using a set of Bluesteels on a Solid Sapele backed guitar.
They did nothing to make the guitar sound great and did not last more than 3/4 of the life of other strings that I use. I do not corrode strings and change them when they lose their Zip...these did not have alot to begin with. Inexpense Martin PBs were much better.

Infact, Bulk 80/20s I use on some guitars just last longer and are much more lively, at 1/3 of the price.

I keep trying different brands....but I don't think I will ever buy these again.

Others may have better results....I just did not like them.

Archived