Gibson buys Garrison

bjorn-fjord

• Members

From the article it sound like the Garrison name is gone and that they will be producing their fibreglass framed guitars for Gibson.

Gibson serenades St. John's guitar manufacturer

'Quite an honour to be considered at all,' owner says of deal

CBC News

A Nashville music giant has plucked the financial strings of a St. John's boutique guitar manufacturer in an acquisition that will see production soar.

The Gibson deal 'allows us to grow exponentially, very quickly, in a way that we just couldn't have done on our own,' says Garrison president Chris Griffiths.

(CBC) Gibson Guitar has purchased Garrison Guitars, which has earned a niche market among musicians and collectors for its high-end acoustic instruments, for an undisclosed price.

Garrison president Chris Griffiths said the international reach of Gibson will take his company's products to markets they could only have dreamed of before.

"It was quite an honour to be considered at all, let alone to have the transaction consummated," Griffiths said Wednesday.

Gibson is looking to tap into the marketplace for acoustic guitars selling for about $1,500 US each.

Continue Article

"They were looking for extra production capacity and a manufacturer who had expertise in making guitars in that price point, and that's what took them to St. John's, Newfoundland," he said.

Garrison makes about 12 high-end guitars per day.

Garrison Guitars, which currently makes about 12 instruments per day, will within a year be making 60 guitars daily.

(CBC) The deal with Gibson will mean taking production up to 60 instruments per day.

To do that, Griffiths will have to triple staff by adding about 40 employees in the next 12 months to its current workforce of 22.

"The Gibson acquisition allows us to grow exponentially, very quickly, in a way that we just couldn't have done on our own," he said.

Garrison has earned a reputation about guitar aficionados

• Members

:(

This sucks. It sounds like Garrison is pretty much done, and that you'll only see the Gibson name come out of their shop.

Plus, if that article is any indication, Gibson is aiming for the over $1K market. That is a real shame, since Garrison made wonderful guitars for well under that price point.

I may have to check eBay. I've wanted a Garrison for awhile (that won't cost me over a grand), and now may be the last chance to get one.

• Members

As soon as I heard the news I went up to my local Garrison dealer and picked one up. They are going to be scarce from now on and since I had one on my want list for a while I figure it's now or never. I love their birch guitars!

• Members

I just hope Gibson doesn't do to Garrison like Ford did to Jaguar and produce Taurus-looking Jags. To me the adulterated look has not been a positive thing for either company. Similarly, and no insult meant to Gibson and their tradition, I just can't abide that mustache bridge or their taste in bling, generally speaking. From bjorn-fjord's posting I read Gibson is looking for increased production and that could ultimately mean a departure from Garrison's methods/looks to some lesser or greater extent. But, I am a retro-grouch at heart.

• Members

Any deal that can increase employment in the Americas (Canada included) is a good one. It must have been tough when Garrison reduced the workforce and imported the less expensive models from overseas, so this is a nice reversal of fortune.

• Members

I started a similar thread, it's interesting, I got my G-50 E for Christmas, iit's great! I got a cheaper (non-Canadian) model for dirt cheap this week (a birthday present for my brother) and was told about the buy out.. I guess it will be good to incease jobs, but to make another nice guitar into another Gibson (and I play Gibson electrics) just seems to lose it for me...

• Members

Just another story of the big company swallowing up little companies. General motors absorbed every car manufacturer they could. Fender has bought so many guitar names I can't keep up with it.

Maybe there will be a new guitar called the Gibson Garrison? At least It'll bring more jobs to North America so I'll support them unless their product turns out to be bad.

At least it didn't go the way of Harmony, Regal, and so many other American guitar companies.:idea::wave:

• Members

I have never been a big Gibson acoustic fan, and this gives me yet another reason to feel the way I do about most of the business decisions they have made over the past 20 years or so.

They are a holding company.

They buy brands. Steinberger, Dobro, Wurlitzer, Baldwin, Valley Arts, Tobias, Epiphone, Kramer, Slingerland, Garrison...

Archived