When is an acoustic no longer an acoustic?

Stackabones

• Members

Is it when it stops being able to be played acoustically? I know that every guitar, even solid body electrics, has some sort of acoustic presence (even a Les Paul has some acoustic sound), but at what point do you say ... nope, that ain't gonna cut it!

Are these still acoustic guitars?

229374.jpg

mkh.jpg

Or how about these two?

Archtops.JPG

Does the pup make one less of an acoustic?

Or what about thin line acoustics? How about electric guitars with piezos in the bridge ... does it make them acoustics?

Just curious about what you think ... :)

• Members

Of course the right answer is that there is no clear and distinct line between acoustic and electric guitars, despite the fact that there are clear example of each category.

With that caveat, I would say that an acoustic guitar is one in which the sound is substantially generated by the soundboard and sound box. To the extent that large pieces of the body are not required for the sound, the guitar is not acoustic.

So if the pickup is picking up the vibration of the soundboard, it's acoustic, but if it's picking up the vibration of the string, then not. Of the ones you've posted, I'd say the bottom two are acoustic, thought the blonde less so than the burst. (assuming there's some second pup in it) I'm thinking the top two are primarily electric, though I'm not exactly sure how they generate their sound - whether the body plays an active role in it.

ETA:

Or try this approach. If a microphone with sufficient gain and amplification could be used to get the desired sound, it's an acoustic. Otherwise not. If someone play a Les Paul using just a microphone, I guess that would be an acoustic.

• Members

In my opinion, a real acoustic should be possible to use in front of a small crowd with no electric power. For instance, a teacher shall be able to play for a class of about 20-25 children, without having to bring an amplifier. (Of course, this is also depending on the discipline of the children.) :)

If this requirement is broken down into pieces, it will all be a matter of performed dB.

I don't know the average volume level for a std acoustic, but use that value and maybe allow -5dB. -10dB would mean half the volume, and that would probably not be enough.

It is of course possible to make recordings even with a disconnected Les Paul, but it is also possible to record the hammering on a powerless Keyboard and that would still not make it to a Piano.

• Members
In my opinion, a real acoustic should be possible to
use
in front of a small crowd with no electric power. For instance, a teacher shall be able to play for a class of about 20-25 children, without having to bring an amplifier. (Of course, this is also depending on the discipline of the children.)
:)

If this requirement is broken down into pieces, it will all be a matter of performed dB.

I don't know the average volume level for a std acoustic, but use that value and maybe allow -5dB. -10dB would mean half the volume, and that would probably not be enough.

It is of course possible to make recordings even with a disconnected Les Paul, but it is also possible to record the hammering on a powerless Keyboard and that would still not make it to a Piano.

Great first post, Svaj! Volume is an issue, yes. That's why I was also wondering about thinline acoustics ... are they loud enough? Acoustic enough?

Loudness can be misleading, too. In a large hall, an acoustic guitar doesn't seem very acoustic next to an "acoustic" violin! ;)

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

• Members

My rule would be - it's an acoustic as long as the bridge is resting on a relatively thin top over a hollow body section, instead of on a solid block of wood (or on studs in a solid block of wood). Once you eliminate the air space under the bridge, it could only be a semi-hollow at best.

• Members
Loudness can be misleading, too. In a large hall, an acoustic guitar doesn't seem very acoustic next to an "acoustic" violin!
;)

I'll have to agree with you on that. Our poor guitar player in our bluegrass band. When playing fast and loud songs such as Foggy Mt. Breakdown, he can only do rhythm. Between the banjo and fiddle, his flatpickin' solo can't be heard (we don't play with mics or anything).

Dan

• Members

My rule would be - it's an acoustic as long as the bridge is resting on a relatively thin top over a hollow body section, instead of on a solid block of wood (or on studs in a solid block of wood). Once you eliminate the air space under the bridge, it could only be a semi-hollow at best.

In general I agree with that statement. The wood of an acoustic guitar is actually amplifiyng the sound of the plucked strings. Once you take that away it becomes a different sub class of guitar. The ones above seem to be acoustic/electrics. To me an acoustic/electric is more of an electric guitar emulating the sound of an amplified acoustic guitar, which is what the ones pictured above seem to be. I've never been wild about how they sound although for strumming in a live band situation it probably doen't make a difference. For solo work and music that features the acoustic sound I'd stick with a well amplified actual acoustic guitar.

• Members

okay, a guitar (in protest to the retronymical 'acoustic' term) came to being as a solo instrument, perhaps suited as a vocal accompaniment. therefore its not meant to be in an ensemble, its only fair to not compare a guitar to a violin or a freakin banjo.

now that Ive got my definition of the purpose of a guitar out of the way....

A guitar can have pickups and yet be categorically termed as an acoustic guitar. However, if the specific instrument is wholly dependent on the pickup to serve its purpose, then it is not a acoustic guitar.

this is how i see it: a proper concert classical guitar performs its duty to fill up a fairly decent hall - for the same purpose, a thinline may need to bbe plugged in. therefore, in relative terms based on its application, the thinline is not an acoustic guitar.

on the flipside - an unplugged, conventional dreadnaught loaded with pickups is still an acoustic guitar if if can fill a room, unplugged (it should bloody well could!). however, it is still an bona-fide acoustic guitar if the guitarist has to plug in to perform in a stadium in front of 30,000 choice hunnies and 30,000 ugly guys.

• Members

This question was posed some time ago and there was much debate. One can arguably state that an acoustic guitar is an instrument that produces sound without any sort of electronic amplification. Throw in a microphone - on or off the guitar - and the guitar, due to the actual electronically imparted audible downstream signal, loses its purely acoustic status.

• Members

Hmmm ... that's pretty good.

So, the inside of this Godin ...
229374.jpg

Looks like this ...
05_DoubleChamber300.jpg

Thus making it an acoustic, no?

• Members
Looks like this ...

05_DoubleChamber300.jpg
Thus making it an acoustic, no?

I would say no because I'm squarely in the camp of "If you have to plug it in to hear it more than a little bit it isn't an acoustic." Which would make any hollowbody jazz boxes acoustic but would not make, say, the Michael Kelly thing an acoustic.

Ellen

• Members

An acoustic produces sound acoustically - the string vibrations drive the top.

An electric produces sound electronically - the strings vibrate thru a magnetic field, inducing a current in the pickup coils.

Two completely different processes. How the sound is delivered to the audience (i.e., using a mic or amp) doesn't change this basic difference.

• Members

I checked out a couple online retailers. Here's what I discovered:

Hollowbodies and Semi-hollowbodies are usually lumped together.

Then you have:

Solid body electrics (6 &12)

Hybrid or specialized guitars (acoustic simulators / extended range / travel guitars / 7 string guitars / double neck guitars, etc).

Acoustics (6 & 12) and acoustics (6&12) with built in pickup(s).

Excellent topic.

• Members

An acoustic produces sound acoustically - the string vibrations drive the top.

An electric produces sound electronically - the strings vibrate thru a magnetic field, inducing a current in the pickup coils.

Two completely different processes. How the sound is delivered to the audience (i.e., using a mic or amp) doesn't change this basic difference.

:thu:

• Members

If I understand the construction correctly, this would entail that spider bridge resonators are not acoustic.

Archived