Bought a new microphone today!

Misha III

• Members
I wanted to get a shure SM58 but finally went out with a Peavy PVM-22 (and a small Peavy mixer PV6)

http://h1.ripway.com/JazzIVWoman/Peavy%20PVM-22%20with%20Cort%20Earth%20Custom.mp3

(Made a big mistake but too lazy to redo it!... just wanted to hear the sound with the new mic and the new mixer!)

Happy "new mic day". I think it sounds pretty good. Did it cost less than the SM58? Also, were you using the Peavey mixer as well to record with? I noticed a strange sort of "fluttering" sound mostly at the beginning and end of the track.

I just bought one of those tiny Behringer Xenyx 502 "mic pre-amp"/mixers and it works great into my computer. It's noiseless. I am also using a borrowed Behringer "XM58" mic and for a $30 mic it doesn't sound too bad. I just recorded my Takamine nylon string guitar with the mic today and it picked up the tone of the guitar very well. I usually record my acoustic guitars direct into the mixer but the Takamine does not have electronics so I used the mic. I've been using this set up a lot lately and it's been giving me pretty good results for the cheap home demo recordings that I just make for fun.

Thanks...now I think I'd like to invest in a new microphone...maybe a condenser? :freak:

OGP

• Members

Happy "new mic day". I think it sounds pretty good. Did it cost less than the SM58? Also, were you using the Peavey mixer as well to record with? I noticed a strange sort of "fluttering" sound mostly at the beginning and end of the track.

I just bought one of those tiny Behringer Xenyx 502 "mic pre-amp"/mixers and it works great into my computer. It's noiseless. I am also using a borrowed Behringer "XM58" mic and for a $30 mic it doesn't sound too bad. I just recorded my Takamine nylon string guitar with the mic today and it picked up the tone of the guitar very well. I usually record my acoustic guitars direct into the mixer but the Takamine does not have electronics so I used the mic. I've been using this set up a lot lately and it's been giving me pretty good results for the cheap home demo recordings that I just make for fun.

Thanks...now I think I'd like to invest in a new microphone...maybe a condenser?
:freak:

OGP

Hi OGP!

I used the Peavy mixer plus the new microphone (same price as the SM58 but usually a little bit more expensive) plus my Cort Earth Custom.

Mic link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PVM-22-Diamond-Series-Microphone?sku=271360

Mixer link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV6-Mixer?sku=631366

The "strange sort of "fluttering" sound mostly at the beginning and end of the track" is, I think, a bad attempt to get rid of the "hiss" using Cool Edit Pro 2.1 which I didn't hear at first and I didn't save the original waveform! Actually it's very noisy in my apartment - because of the poor quality of the windows, I've been told! :(

I bought the microphone to record both voice and guitar... but I ain't gonna sing tonight because I'm stuck with a sinusitis! I've been playing mostly with my new USA Telecaster and Blues jr lately. Since I could not use the mic for my voice today I decided to try it for my acoustic guitar!

• Members
Hi OGP!

I used the Peavy mixer plus the new microphone (same price as the SM58 but usually a little bit more expensive) plus my Cort Earth Custom.

Mic link:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PVM-22-Diamond-Series-Microphone?sku=271360

Mixer link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV6-Mixer?sku=631366

The "strange sort of "fluttering" sound mostly at the beginning and end of the track" is, I think, a bad attempt to get rid of the "hiss" using Cool Edit Pro 2.1 which I didn't hear at first and I didn't save the original waveform! Actually it's very noisy in my apartment - because of the poor quality of the windows, I've been told!
:(

I bought the microphone to record both voice and guitar... but I ain't gonna sing tonight because I'm stuck with a sinusitis! I've been playing mostly with my new USA Telecaster and Blues jr lately. Since I could not use the mic for my voice today I decided to try it for my acoustic guitar!

Don't worry about your mic picking up outside noises...it all adds to the ambiance....;) I didn't really hear a lot of or any "hiss".

That mixer looks really nice and small and takes 4 XLR inputs...that looks like a real versatile little set up you have. From your recording the guitar sounded nice and balanced. I hope we hear some more soon :thu:

Regards,

OGP

• Members

Nice work Misha, you've come a long way.

Though the SM58 is the "industry standard", that doesn't mean it's the best mic for a given instance. I think you'll find that PVM22 will do very well for you, certainly not any worse than the SM58, and possibly better. Only time will tell how it works with your voice but it certainly does a nice job on the acoustic.

That little mixer is going to do a good job for you as well.

• Members

Though the SM58 is the "industry standard", that doesn't mean it's the best mic for a given instance.

Yep, the SM58, while sounding decent, is probably best known for it's ruggedness, more than anything else. There are a lot of other mics out there in the same price range that can sound better in the right application. You may or may not sacrifice durability.

I've got a predisposition to Sennheisers, myself.

Archived