Will be a NTGD (new travel guitar day)!

dhoenisch

• Members

Well, I'm sure that some of you may have read the thread with all of the issues I had with Musician's Friend and trying to get a travel guitar. Anyhow, the trip I wanted it for has come and gone.

I decided that since MF didn't want to send me the guitar I ordered over a month ago, I would look on the bay, and on Craigs List for an old 3/4 sized Harmony. I knew that it would suit my "needs" because my sister has one from the 50's, and every time I go to my mom's house, out of all the guitars there, hers is the one I tend to play.

Well, the one's on the bay seem to go a bit too high for my taste, or are just in real disrepair, enough where I just don't want to deal with it.

Anyhow, during my lunch break today, I did some internet surfing, and found one that recently listed with a Buy It Now price of only $25, and $11-something for shipping. Well, I jumped on that like white on rice.

StellaH6134.jpg

StellaH6134back.jpg

(Pictures from eBay auction)

The funny thing is, this guitar cost me about the same as the Rogue from MF cost, and this one has definately got to be a better guitar. I think this one is laminated though, which isn't too common for USA made Harmonys, but than, so was the Rogue. Anyhow, this Harmony, I think, is definately the better choice.

Oh, and Stackabones, look, no bridge pins!

Dan

• Members

Congrats. Hope it works out. I'm really pleased with my latest cheap eBay guitar. Brought it in to work today to let a co-worker play it. He played it before and I wanted him to compare with the new nut and saddle I just put on. He wants me to keep it at work.

Scott O

just went to eBay and saw all the other pictures. looks good.

• Members

Thanks all. I can't wait to get it. Actually, I got an e-mail before I left work from the seller with the UPS tracking number already. Talk about fast shipping. Ellen, I'll let you know how the guitar checks out once I get it.

Scott, it sounds like that bone nut and saddle worked out for you. Glad to hear it. I'm sure it made a huge difference for you.

Dan

• Members

Well, for those of you who asked...

I purchased this guitar with buy it now on eBay on Wednesday, and it was shipped, from CT, on Friday. Talk about speedy shipping.

I got around to doing the setup on it yesterday. The action was much lower than I like it, which is dang near unheard of with these old Harmony guitars. So, I clipped the old strings off, removed the tuning machines, and shimmed the saddle. It's an adjustable saddle, but the threads were in the plastic saddle, which was stripped on one side, so I had to use shimms. I installed some side fret markers (it bugs me that Harmony never installed them). The nut was chipped up pretty good, but on my '69 H942, I am using bone for the nut, so since I saved that nut, and it is the exact same size, height, string spacing, I cleaned it up, buffed it out, and glued it on the guitar after I steel-wooled the frets/fret board. I cleaned up the rest of the guitar, adapted some bushings for the tuning machines. Oiled the tuning machines up, and put them back on the guitar. Strung it up with 11's, tuned it and played it.

Anyhow, she sounds about what you would expect for a small bodied guitar from the 70's. Intonation is better than I expected it to be, which is nice. Nice bright sound, but really lacking in the bass area, but I expected that too. It has the typical wide Harmony neck, but I am so used to it that it doesn't bother me at all.

I didn't take any "after" pictures of it, but it doesn't look much different than the auction pictures, just cleaner without all that mess at the headstock.

All in all, it's a nice and fun little guitar, and will make for a great, almost indestructable, travel/place by the recliner guitar. Like I mentioned earlier, my sister has a '50's version of this guitar, and that's the one I usually grab when I go to my mom's house.

Wel, thanks for "listening",

Dan

Archived