Guitar is hard to barre at first fret

raggety

• Members

The last three guitars I purchased were this way. The string height at the nut was too high. See Freeman's sick guitar sticky. I use feeler gauges to measure the height of the string to the 1st fret. On two guitars all the strings needed to be lowered the same amount so I sanded the back of the nut to lower it. On the third it was different for each string, so I ended up making a new nut.

I recommend having it looked at and inquire about setting it up correctly if that's the problem. It's much nicer to play when it is set up well.

Scott O

• Members

This brings up a possibly stupid question. I understand the variances of string height related to the saddle and why they are different. But, I would think that the height off the nut would/should be standardized...yes? That considered, why do they come higher on some guitars? Now I see the benefit of the zero fret.

• Members

I'd just drop down 1/2 step and capo at the 1st fret. Typically I capo at the 2nd fret and stay at concert pitch because that's my vocal range and it's easier to play at that position for me.

I tried that and it makes it sound a bit muddy, but i wasn't using a capo.

when i have

Archived