Help - Need mp3 converter

Freeman Keller

• Members

I'm in the process of converting some song files for the HCAG album project and I need an mp3 conversion program. I have Audacity which will convert from a wav file to an mp3, but many people have submitted a regular audio cd. I can rip the songs to my computer using Windows Media Player but I can only save them in their native format (I thought WMP would let me save it as an mp3 but I can't figure out how).

Does anyone know of a good conversion program - preferably as shareware or can anyone help me set up WMP to do the conversion?

• Members

I use a ripper called Easy CD Extractor (and have for a long time). I even paid for it.

http://www.poikosoft.com/

You can rip to many formats and it also includes a format conversion ability (CD to MP3 and visa versa for example).

You can download it for free I think for a trial. Might be something out there better as I have not looked for a while since I own this one and keep getting updates to it all the time.

• Members

I use a really great program called Switch (http://www.nch.com.au/switch/) but I think it might be only for Mac.

When I was at home (and using Windows) I used a trial version of a program that gave me 30 free conversions before it started bugging me about getting the full version. If you're only going to do a few songs, you might want to look into just getting the trial version of phil_harmonic's program or something.

Ellen

• Members

Nope. I use it too, and I have WinXP. Great little freeware program.

That's great news! In that case, Freeman, I highly recommend the program Switch. It is straightforward and easy to use, but if you want to get complicated and do stuff like change the bit rate or try some wacky formats it is flexible. It gets the job done.

Ellen

• Members

Another reccomendation for cDex:

Ripper that will save to .mp3 or .wav. Uses LAME encoding engine. (Win 95/98/NT/XP/2000)

CDex rips fast and accurately, applying jitter correction for quality control. Files are normalized to ensure consistent volume levels.

A third... basically all was said already. ^^^^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The easy way out. In Windows Media Player

go to the tools menu

then options

then the Rip Music tab

then in the rip settings choose mp3 instead of wma

that should make it so when you rip you get mp3 instead of wma files

Another option is to use Window Plus! Audio Converter. It's comes in the Microsoft Plus Pack digital media edition. Then you can convert files by right clicking.

Archived