Pickups.

JMW14590

• Members

I have a fantastic Corth Earth-70 NS and I want to now use it as my stage guitar.

I play rhythm mostly.

One problem, no pickup.

My initial thoughts were going with a L.R. Baggs M1 Active as it seems to have good reviews but still not sure.

Any suggestions?

• Members

I have the K&K and it is great - very natural sounding with no "quack" that you can get with undersaddle transducers.

Go to Shoreline Music's site

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/

There is a pretty comprehensive list of manufacturers with detailed descriptions of the different pickups and their attributes. John at Shoreline will be happy to talk with you on the phone and help you make your decison without pushing anything.

• Members

K&K, LR Baggs, I have a Fishman prefix and like it. You can get the prefix with a yuner built in, so that was a deciding point for me (this assumes you cut a hole in the side of your guitar. I dont mind the hole and look at the utility value an EQ, phase sw, tuner, mute button and volume adds vs the reduction in collectability value. None of my guitars are ever going to be rare, collectable guitars, even though I have some nice instruments.

K&K did at one time sell an under saddle transducer and I put one on a 12 string, It was a very good sound. IK&K gets a lot of love here, but I have heard that their transducer systems, while giving great sound, are prone to feedback.

• Members

Over the years here's what I try :

Magnetic : Dean Markley, Artec, Lawrence, Sunrise

Undersaddle : BBand, LR Baggs, Martin + factory installed Takamine

contact/piezo : Barcus Berry

After spending LOTS of $$$$:mad: the only one I really love:love: is the SUNRISE. Bought it for 175$ with the Sunrise buffer box (used).

Everything else sounds cheap in my hear. I love the deep, rich and clear sound of the pickup. No feedback and with the buffer box and a volume pedal they fit in almost any situation. But you have to love magnetic sounhole pickup. It's really different than undersaddle or contact one.

I heard good things about the M1 but I never try one.

Good luck on your quest...

Another advice... I always tought my guitar did not deserve a 250$ pickup because it worth only 350$$$ Shame on me... any guitar you love deserve a 250$ pickup;)

• Members

I have the K&K Pure Western. FANTASTIC pickup.

I've only played a few gigs with it thus far, but I've only had feedback problems when I do something stupid (like walk out right in front of one of the main cabs). I use a soundhole feedback buster and make sure the monitor is angled slightly away. No issues.

Archived