Have you played CA and/or Breedlove C25 guitars

flip333

• Members

Today I took an hour and a half drive to a new guitar store. Went to try out a Larrivee D-50 and D-60. Those guitar were not as nice as I had envisioned... too muddy for me.

BUT, the nice lady at Star's Guitars in Cedar Rapids Iowa, was very, very helpful. She showed me a CA. Composite Acoustics guitar made of graphite, model GX. This was very impressive with its own sound. I liked it a lot... yikes at around $2500 ?, it should be.

Also enjoyed a Breedlove C25. This was a warm concert cutaway with a large abalone rosette. Very nice for around $2500 also.

I was able to play a Larrivee DV-03 and a a LV-03 back to back with these guitars. (neither sounded as good as my own L-03), but I could tell the C25 and the GX were indeed fine guitars.

Oh yea, and a Mcpherson with the offset soundhole. Pretty nice for around $4000?

I came home and immediately played my own guitars (like I always do) for a reality check. I can't quite justify the $2500 + price tags yet. My own L-03 and 000-15S, and my Sigma DR-41 sound great.

Also played a couple Morgan Monroes, and a Blueridge 183. They're probably fine for the money, but they paled in comparison to the CA and the C25... like eating baloney after a nice steak...

• Members
BUT, the nice lady at Star's Guitars in Cedar Rapids Iowa, was very, very helpful.

That's one of the best guitar stores I've ever been in. I've always been helped by one of the guys there ... and they seem to know just about everything you need to know about the guitars they carry. Wonderful experience shopping there. It's the first place I played through Schertler amps.

:thu:

• Members

The case is as heavy as the guitar, and the guitar is stronger than the case. I almost wish I had worked out a deal to get a gigbag instead of a case from the beginning (maybe I could have saved some money). I have a nice gigbag now and it matches the convenience of the guitar. I seriously have no worries about shipping the guitar or even checking it as baggage without a hardshell case.

I hear ya, brahams118.

this CA case looks bullet-proof and lead-lined, too.

Overkill for a carbon guitar, I should think.

GXP_case-open.jpg

• Members

hey,

if you can get a Breedlove Master Class (that's what a C w/out an S in front of it would be) for 2500 bucks I'd strongly recommend you do it. Matter of fact I'm tempted to find the store you're referring to and buy it from them sight-unseen. I'd gladly pay $2500.00 for a Breedlove C25. They're great guitars. I have a custom made SC15, which is a shallow body and an S series, not a master class, that I paid 4K for. It's an amazing guitar.

buy the Breedlove. You won't find a better guitar for that money.

Edit: Just called Star's in Cedar Rapids and spoke to Lori. She is a very nice person. Very knowledgable about guitars. She gave me the price of the instrument which is a great deal. I'm contemplating buying the C25 perhaps as early as this coming Monday, depending on when I can shake free the cash. It's sort of last minute and at a tough time of year. I'd love to snag that guitar for the price she's asking. I hate to be a jerk and snare a guitar you were thinking of buying after you clued me into on the net but that's just how it goes.

• Members

from the CA warranty page (I'm not making this up)

"Although carbon fiber is an incredibly strong and resistant aerospace material, this product is intended to be used as a musical instrument only. This product is not intended for use as a battering ram, billy club, baseball bat, boat paddle, personal transport (such as a toboggan), body armor, pool float, projectile (human or mechanically powered), aircraft component or geostationary satellite (unless inside spacecraft). This warranty is VOID if the Composite Acoustics product has been used in any of these ways."

• Members

Quee!!! Wow, that sounds awesome! That GX is a seriously good guitar!!!

Hey Breedlover, I understand.. If I was closer to actually buying an expensive guitar, I would just have to keep it a secret... but it is fun to talk about nice guitars and tell others about them. Best wishes. Please brag about it when you get it!:thu: Its great to hear NGD stories. That C25 is a seriously good guitar!! (deja vu) ....

CA also makes a "Vintage" player guitar.. I saw one on Ebay for $1200. That would be nice to try. And the CA guitars have stainless steel frets. That is worth a lot to me as I watch frets dissolve away after a few years.

Archived