Mount a strap button on acoustic?

tmikey2102

• Members
Man, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! The heel on my neck is the more rounded type (or jazz), and doesn't have as much flat area as the one that you have pictured, but I think it has just enough to mount one properly. Thank you!

Does it look like this?
flatheel.JPG

• Members

Yes, daklander, it's very similar to that one, but doesn't really have the flattened area in the middle.

Then you'll be fine placing it in a very similar postion, or as I've done on my 12 stringer, like that but more toward the treble side.

• Members

The Martin attachment looks like a good idea but a strap attached to the headstock does tend to put more stress on the place where the neck is attached to the body. The other 2 locations in the photos put less stress on the instrument. As for drilling into the heel, the screw that holds most buttons in place is not big or long enough to damage or affect the instrument's structural or tone integrity. It is a good idea to drill a small starter hole for the screw (especially if it is a very hard wood) about 1/2 - 2/3 the length of the screw. Make sure that the hole is not too wide, should be wide enough only for the main shaft of the screw so that only the threads will bite the wood and the screw shaft wont have to push wood out of the way except maybe in the very end where the screw becomes narrow near the point.

• Members

Just be careful with mounting the strap button. I had an acoustic several years back that I let the store where I purchased it put the button on and the dude drilled the hole but he went to far in and hit something (ie, truss rod) and the guitar had a terrible buzz immediately following. thankfully they took the guitar back and gave me another.

vtg

• Members

Thanks alot, folks. Goin' to Guitar Center today to get the buttons. Hey, by the way, daklander, I used the technique shown on that website to sand down the base of my bridge 1/16th of an inch to lower my action at the 12th fret, and it worked PERFECTLY! This guitar is getting better by the day! Thanks again, everyone.

• Members

Thanks alot, folks. Goin' to Guitar Center today to get the buttons. Hey, by the way, daklander, I used the technique shown on that website to sand down the base of my bridge 1/16th of an inch to lower my action at the 12th fret, and it worked PERFECTLY! This guitar is getting better by the day! Thanks again, everyone.

Good on you mate.

Yeah, Frets dot com is a great resource.

Also have a look at Annex Guitar Tech information pages. Freeman and Krash have put together a great wing to the HCAG.

• Members

Both of my dreds have them on the rim. This isnt a job for a amateur if you are going to put them there. I figure the guy who did it knows what he is doing. He builds guitars for a living and was a gibby custom shop guy. He put a block on the inside to re enforce the strap button. I am sure he did what he did for a real good reason. Take it to a pro. rat

Archived