Resonator?

kr236rk

• Members

Hi,

like to experiment with that resinator sound, so looking for a 'first buy' type instrument - maybe something from Korea - since i hear the quality there is quite reliable nowadays?

i know there is the Eastwood Delta 6 electric [kool or what?], but what about acoustic or electro-acoustic resinators, please?

thanks

R

• Members

What are you going to be doing with it?

That will make a difference as to whether to go with a biscuit or spider bridge.

well, i really like that Delta Blues sound - so while i'm taken with the Delta-6, this is going to give more of a Chicago type, electric blues sound?

there are a lot of resonators on the market at the moment but - surfing around - a lot of 'buyer beware' comments also: i know nothing about this guitar type, so thought i'd pass it by you guys? :)

;)

R

• Members

My wife bought a Johnson biscuit resonator as a Christmas present for me. I'm no resonator authority (I'm in your shoes), having never owned one. The tone seems legit fingerpicked--I can't play slid at all. Fit and finish is decent, but nothing to brag about.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rogue resonators are "rebadged" Johnsons. Mine is a dead ringer for the Rogue Triolian from Musician's Friend.

• Members

well, i really like that Delta Blues sound - so while i'm taken with the Delta-6, this is going to give more of a Chicago type, electric blues sound?

there are a lot of resonators on the market at the moment but - surfing around - a lot of 'buyer beware' comments also: i know nothing about this guitar type, so thought i'd pass it by you guys?
:)

;)

R

'K, you probably should be looking at a biscuit bridge. They are, IMO, going to give you more down and dirty rasp than a spider.

Another one to look at is the Epiphone Biscuit. A pretty good player and a decent price though more than a Rogue.

• Members

'K, you probably should be looking at a biscuit bridge. They are, IMO, going to give you more down and dirty rasp than a spider.

Another one to look at is the Epiphone Biscuit. A pretty good player and a decent price though more than a Rogue.

many thanks, Darklander,

recording the sound is a consideration too, but i am getting excellent results from acoustic recordings, using the FastTrack M-Audio USB; otherwise, i did see at least one acoustic reso with a pickup - is this cool?

http://www.moondogguitars.com/howlin/#

;)

Ric

• Members

Kr, a while back I did a little write up on reso basics - there is a lot to these critters. If you would like it I would be happy to e-mail it to you - PM me your addy. Here is my 1932 Type 27 spider and my 1980 biscuit Duolian

Dobros1.jpg

wow - those are beauties! :)

Archived