ACOUSTIC BODY STYLES

Steadfastly

• Members

I like my acoustic but find it a bit bulky compared to my Ibanez AG75 hollow body electric.

I was wondering why acoustics couldn't be made with sloping edges rather than the sharp 90 degree edge that most of them have. Would it hamper the sound or they made this way for ease of construction? I'm sure some of you have the answers to these questions. Thanks.

• Members

There are a number of builders experimenting with beveled tops, arm rest and and asymetrical designs. Here is one from Kevin Ryan

Bevel%20Flutes%204-200.jpg

From a practical standpoint this would be a b**ch to build

You know, I've always wondered the point of putting soundholes there, since the player's arm would cover at least a portion of them. And no thank you, I'll definitely take a pass on trying to build one.

• Members

You know, I've always wondered the point of putting soundholes there, since the player's arm would cover at least a portion of them. And no thank you, I'll definitely take a pass on trying to build one.

I thought they were fingerholes for carrying, like a bowling ball. Or maybe pick escape routes. Or toothbrush holders for the wealthy.

• Members

It would add cost and complexity to the manufacturing process so, unless there was a significant sonic advantage to the design, there simply would be no reason to do so.

Actualy, the toothbrush holder would'nt be covered by the players arm at all on that git. Unless they have really short arms...are at least 40 pounds overweight...balding...dentures...need a truss...crutches...chain smoke...orthopedic shoes...

What I mean is, comfort is a big factor to some folks, and the toothbrush holder takes the corner off and adds an angle for an armrest.

• Members

There are a number of builders experimenting with beveled tops, arm rest and and asymetrical designs. Here is one from Kevin Ryan

Bevel%20Flutes%204-200.jpg

From a practical standpoint this would be a b**ch to build

Mr. Keller: I was hoping to hear from you on this. Are acoustics built with the normal, more boxy design for sound quality, ease of manufacture, or both. What I'm getting at is, would you, in your opinion, get as good a sound from a quality ergonomic style guitar as you would from a traditional shaped guitar. And one other question; there are some built out of carbon material. Do you think this would be comparable to the resonance of wood or better or worse. I am very limited in my knowledge of these things but am very curious as to the affects that shape and materials would have on sound. Thank you for you input. Flip.

Archived