Finish cleaning question

Blamalam

• Members

Hey folks.

I had a small fire in my house this past Thursday, and smoke got EVERYWHERE upstairs (the fire was in the basement). I'm just now getting around to cleaning my instruments. Rubbing alcohol works fine on the electrics, but I'm hesitant to use it on my Guild D4. Assuming that I'm dampening the corner of a cloth with the alcohol and not pouring it straight onto the guitar, am I risking any damage here?

• Members

Hey folks.

I had a small fire in my house this past Thursday, and smoke got EVERYWHERE upstairs (the fire was in the basement). I'm just now getting around to cleaning my instruments. Rubbing alcohol works fine on the electrics, but I'm hesitant to use it on my Guild D4. Assuming that I'm dampening the corner of a cloth with the alcohol and not pouring it straight onto the guitar, am I risking any damage here?

I don't think I would use rubbing alcohol. A spray bottle of water with a few drops of soap in it would be quite safe on all finishes, so I would to that first. If it won't budge the grime then some folks have suggested Naptha (lighter fluid). There are plenty of cleaning solutions sold at music stores that would also be a safe option.

• Members

Yeah, Murphy's would work too but the guitar would then need some protection. The Ax Wax would, I think, do a good job as well and shine it at the same time or I wouldn't have mentioned it. It might take a bit more elbow grease but it takes dried sweat off very well so it should handle soot and other grime.

Archived