Camcorder At Jam?

Samilyn

• Members

If I was in a place like say a dance club...and you decided to take my picture without my permission and I came over accompanied by a bouncer and demanded you hand over the camera to me by law you would have to. I have seen cameras and film destroyed by bouncers in these night clubs and there is not a single legal thing the so-called "photographer" can do about it. Try it sometime and see what happens. Trust me...it makes no difference whether it's Canada or the USA. I use be involved in photography for over 20 years and I am very aware about who you can and cannot photograph and when and where you can do it. Also...I am not talking about your home. People mistake places like bars, night clubs, eateries, shopping malls, etc as "public places". They are not.

I realize now that with the advent of cel-phone cams and such it's impossible to police but it still doesn't make it legal.

Eazy friend, just pointing out some common law. I don't know what to tell you about your film being confiscated, but I can tell you that was illegal without a court order to destroy the film, unless of course it was clearly posted to not film in such a way that a reasonable person would understand it. Anyway dude, I'm not trying to start anything with you, so I will just let this go, looks like we both look at the situation differently, and yes here in the US I can film anything I please.

Let me just add this site:

http://www.photosecrets.com/law.take.html

• Members

Eazy friend, just pointing out some common law. I don't know what to tell you about your film being confiscated, but I can tell you that was illegal without a court order to destroy the film, unless of course it was clearly posted to not film in such a way that a reasonable person would understand it. Anyway dude, I'm not trying to start anything with you, so I will just let this go, looks like we both look at the situation differently.

Hey man no problem. I am just pointing out what I know and have seen in 28 years of playing in clubs. It was also not my film or camera destroyed because I know better than to try anything like that in a club. I think you are missing the point. Nightclubs, bars or such are not "public places" they are privately owned and managed.

• Members

Hey man no problem. I am just pointing out what I know and have seen in 28 years of playing in clubs. It was also not my film or camera destroyed because I know better than to try anything like that in a club. I think you are missing the point. Nightclubs, bars or such are not "public places" they are privately owned and managed.

Oh yeah, the bottom line I follow my own common decency law that means I don't photo folks that don't want me too anyway, nor bootleg their recordings. I think common decency should prevail in all cases. Frankly I don't carry a camera with me anyway, even though I have small kids and wish I had one more often. Aside I listened to some of your tunes nice stuff, very nice.

• Members
Oh yeah, the bottom line I follow my own common decency law that means I don't photo folks that don't want me too anyway, nor bootleg their recordings. I think common decency should prevail in all cases. Frankly I don't carry a camera with me anyway, even though I have small kids and wish I had one more often. Aside I listened to some of your tunes nice stuff, very nice.

Well..yes good manners, common sense and decency usually prevails in these types of situations and 99% of people are respectful like yourself. Sometimes you get the odd person who doesn't have respect or common decency. Personally like I said..I have been in entertainment for so long I could really care less if someone takes my video or pic but some folks do care. If you want to take pics of your own kids I don't think you should have to worry...now if some stranger started to take pics of your kids without your permission I think you might have a little different opinion....regardless of law. ;)

Thanks for listening to my tunes...I really appreciate your kind words. :)

Regards,

OGP

• Members

Eazy friend, just pointing out some common law. I don't know what to tell you about your film being confiscated, but I can tell you that was illegal without a court order to destroy the film, unless of course it was clearly posted to not film in such a way that a reasonable person would understand it. Anyway dude, I'm not trying to start anything with you, so I will just let this go, looks like we both look at the situation differently, and yes here in the US I can film anything I please.

Let me just add this site:

You can film anything in some public spaces (depending on the city laws) , but broadcasting it without the person's permission is different. That is why you will see blurred out faces in some videos.

Archived