Acoustic Guitar Problem?

Ohioarrow

• Members

I am looking at a used Guild F30 over here.

The guitar appears to be in excellent shape, played very well, felt good, and had excellent sound.

I took a straight edge to the front, just under the bridge, positioned across the width of the guitar and I noticed a slight rocking in the straight edge. Now when I say slight, I mean I can not see this when looking at the instrument.

I was concerned that this was perhaps eveidence that the wood supporting the bridge was beginning to pull up. However, I also did the same (in approx the same position) on the guitar back. Same exact rocking.

So now I am confused, is the instrument designed this way? Or is this indictive of a budding issue with this particular instrument?

• Members

A flat top is actually arched slightly. I think Freeman has a diagram posted here somewhere in his build a guitar sessions.

Yup, tops are slightly domed (the actual radius is about 28 FEET) - you should sense exactly what you did. A flat or sunken top is usually an indicator of a dry guitar. Too much dome is bad - guitars (like old guitar players) seem to get a slight belly as we, er, they get older, but what you describe is perfectly normal.

• Members

I don't have a an F30 ( I want one though), but my GF-25 has the same arch you are talking about.

You say it plays well, sounds great, and feels good?

What else is there to worry about?

Is it very expensive? I shopped around quite a bit before pulling the trigger on this last one, and $600-800 should be able to get you a decent used F30.

Here's a sweet F-40?

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104681285

Archived