12 String for $500 +/-

Vytas

• Members

Do any of you have a recommend on a decent 12 string for around $500? or some good reviews?

I am looking to get a 12 string, possibly, and to be honest, there aren't a whole lot to play at the stores, so I would be ordering on line, and am looking for some suggestions. Not playing something first would be tough to do, so any and all input is appreciated.

• Members

I have a Martin D12X1 that I dearly love. Mine simply shreds some more expensive 12-ers out there. It is a solid-top lam, but has the characteristically boomy Martin tones.

I've played a Seagull or two and they make one of the best-sounding 12-ers in that price range. Definitely worth checking out.

If you can find an old Tak F400S that's not a candidate for a neck reset, they're also awesome-sounding 12-ers and usually sell used in the $400-$500 range. But unless you're in a position to examine one closely and really know what to look for in the structural sense, it's best not to consider them.

• Members

Do any of you have a recommend on a decent 12 string for around $500? or some good reviews?

I am looking to get a 12 string, possibly, and to be honest, there aren't a whole lot to play at the stores, so I would be ordering on line, and am looking for some suggestions. Not playing something first would be tough to do, so any and all input is appreciated.

Yes, there is consistantly one 12 in this price range that is recommend above all others - the Seagull S12+. I have played a couple in stores and been favorably impressed and forumite Eppito has had one for two or three years now and says it just keeps getting better.

However - (1) the Seagull is cedar top and lam cherry back and sides. I think part of its great sound is the cedar, but that is a softer wood and the jury is still out on how it will last. You certainly will have to be a little more careful of it than spruce and it probably will not "open up" the way spruce does (ie. the way it sounds in the store is probably how it will sound 5 years from now).

(2) we did see pictures on this forum of a 'gull with the bridge separating from the top. That should be fixed under warranty and is the only case I've heard of like this. But, for what it is worth, the bridge also separated from my Martin D12-28 and required repair.

The second thing that is recommended in this price range is to shop for a gently used Taylor, Guild or possibly Martin - the T355, F212, D12X1 and J12-15 can all be had for 7-800 if you shop around. Be very careful with used 12's - I personally think that inexpensive used 12's are almost alway trouble, but these can all be sweet gits.

There have been some great threads about inexpensive 12's over here at the Cafe's - you might want to search back a few pages

UMGF 12 String Cafe'

by the way, I am trying to get some of Eppito's music up at the Annex so you can listen to his Seagull, if you PM me I could probably send you one or two of his mp3's. It is a great sounding git, he plays a lot in open D and its got a pretty good roar.

• Members

Well here's the deal, I shoulda left my wallet at home. I went to two guitar stores and ultimately got a Breedlove 12 string AD250-something...

I played all the 12 strings I saw at both, plugged in and unplugged. The catch was I wanted a cutaway. The Takamine and Breedlove were the two I narrowed down to. The breedlove looked better and sounded more rounded to me, especially plugged in, and had a "brightness" control to brighted or lower the sound. I also got em to knock $100 off the price because of a fret that is slightly high (the 14th) - only on the high E strings. I can tap that down myself, but they did offer a setup though I'll just do it. All in all, the finish is a 7.5 due to some poor sanding at the neck base and some other minor things, but it sounds good and it seems to be getting along with my other instruments, so that's a plus!

Thanks for the info guys. I'd love to own a martin! (but I don't..)

Archived