Reverb........ (non-Zager content)

spruce goose

• Members

I've noticed that adding a lot of reverb to an acoustic guitar (when recording....) can sometimes be a bad idea. :freak: Apparently acoustic guitars have a lot of highs, and the reverb can intensify this property, generating a sound that is too bright and shrieky.

• Members

Where I work there are three guitarists. We keep some of our equipment there and it consists of Fender Acoustisonic and Marshal amps and a Digitech pedal. My boss, the company owner, is an FX junky. He'll take each effect to 11 and it really is annoying. The other day I was playing my classical and he plugged me into the pedal through the Acoustisonic with reverb turned up midway and the pedal set for Crunch. I was playing Classical Gas. Like I said...annoying.

When I record I will use reverb but only to give a bit of depth. It isn't needed if the guitar has good sustain. I usually record guitar and vocals one-shot. If I was to lay down separate tracks I'd use the reverb for the vocals only.

• Members

Most of us know that the two most important things for recording are:

1. Playing well.

2. Good knowledge of how to record (and mix).

However, even though I am cognizant of this, I kinda lack the disiplin to actually study or even test out different things, so much of my recordings have been pretty randomly produced. Needless to say, the results suffer from this. I should probably rectify my behavior. :idea: Also, I could probably play better if I focused a bit on improving that aspect. :idea:

Furthermore, I've noticed that I never really listen to professional recordings in order to learn from their own "research". Haha, I have a lot to learn.

For now, I have this, though:

http://boomp3.com/m/fc3cafca5c87/acoustic

Oh yeah, and I forgot to tune my guitars before recording that. :freak:

• Members

In any situation, IMHO, a little reverb goes a long way and less is better, with very few exceptions.

Seems like a lot of people use reverb where they should be using delay or echo.

Ok, let me steal an opportunity to learn a little bit here. I am familiar with GVerb in Audacity. And I realize that those two terms, delay and echo, should be self apparent, but I don't have a lot of recording experience so could you elaborate a bit more on how they differ from GVerb and what situations they are more apt to be applied? Samples would be great if you got 'em..

I always heard the only dumb question was the one you were afraid to ask. :freak:

• Members

Where I work there are three guitarists. We keep some of our equipment there and it consists of Fender Acoustisonic and Marshal amps and a Digitech pedal. My boss, the company owner, is an FX junky. He'll take each effect to 11 and it really is annoying. The other day I was playing my classical and he plugged me into the pedal through the Acoustisonic with reverb turned up midway and the pedal set for Crunch. I was playing Classical Gas. Like I said...annoying.

When I record I will use reverb but only to give a bit of depth. It isn't needed if the guitar has good sustain. I usually record guitar and vocals one-shot. If I was to lay down separate tracks I'd use the reverb for the vocals only.

What do you do for work and how do I get into it :thu:

Archived