Need new tuner knobs for an Alvarez 5037 12 sting

daves_obc

• Members

I have an Alvarez 5037 12 string. I love the guitar, except for the plastic knobs on the tuners. A few of them have cracked and split, making tuning impossible.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement knobs for the tuners? Here is a picture showing the tuners from a variety of angles.

5037Tuners.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the links.

I just got off the phone with the Alvarez parts and service department. They have a few buttons left over, but they had fewer than the dozen I wanted. Plus, if they sold them all to me they wouldn't be able to help the next person who called.

However, they had some tuning machines from another model that were all metal that they said had the same pattern, so they should just pop right in. They offered them to me for $3 each plus shipping, so I went with the metal ones.

It looks like I get to learn how to replace tuning machines in a week or so.

I checked with Stewart MacDonald and didn't carry the correct style.

• Members

Well, my new set of tuners arrived the other day. So, I switched out the ones with the plastic knobs for the metal ones. This was the first time I've done something like this. It went just fine. Here are a couple of pics of the guitar with the new tuners.

I'm now able to play this guitar for the first time in a long time. I'd forgotten how good it sounds.

Alvarez1.jpg

Alvarez2.jpg

• Members

Yeah, I'm completely sold on their customer service. I bought this guitar almost 20 years ago, so I wasn't really expecting much when I called them. The parts guy rummaged around and found me a solution at a more than fair price. They said that $3 was the dealer cost.

I'm going to send them the tuners that I took off the guitar so they'll have more of those plastic tuner buttons on hand when the next person calls. I have no use for them now and they would be able to find someone who needs them eventually.

• Members

Thanks for the compliments. When I bought it I walked into the store convinced that I was going to buy a Yamaha 12 string. My 6 string acoustic is a Yamaha FG-430. I love that guitar dearly, so I figured that a 12 string Yamaha was the choice for me. But, after playing a few different 12 strings at the store I settled on the Alvarez 5037. I don't think I've seen another one since.

The lack of a pickguard is what makes it look unique to me. I keep debating with myself over having a pickguard put on it. I've been debating it since I bought the guitar in 1989, and no resolution to the question is on the horizon. :)

• Members

The lack of a pickguard is what makes it look unique to me. I keep debating with myself over having a pickguard put on it. I've been debating it since I bought the guitar in 1989, and no resolution to the question is on the horizon.
:)

The top has a beautiful color and I don't see any pick damage, so you are probably doing something right. Personally, I'm an anit-p/g sort of guy, but then I'm a finger picker. One nice option is to put a clear one on it - I believe that the wood will still tan underneith so you could remove it in the future and not have tan lines.

Archived