How? iTunes from WinXp to Vista.

T.B.

• Members

I've decided to setup my iTunes on Vista. The good news, I only have about 205 songs so I gonna use my 1G digital flash drive. Has anyone done this? If so please share you knowledge. Thanks.

Trina

• Members

on Vista. The good news, I only have about 205 songs so I gonna use my 1G digital flash drive. Has anyone done this? If so please share you knowledge. Thanks.

Trina

Can't help you Trina, I've strictly used one PC with XP. But once you get it set up be sure to download songs from the Annex and add them - if you want it I have a printout of my iTunes database with all the Annex songs listed by both the forum name and the real name. There are something over 125 songs alone in that bunch

• Members

I've done this multiple times on the family's Mac's, but never tried it on a PC - we don't run iTunes on our PC's ;) - but I'll try to help.

For the Mac, there are a number of shareware programs - Senuti is probably the most popular - that make this really easy in that they allow you to simply connect your iPod to the new target machine and upload from you iPod. So the first thing I'd do is check Cnet to see if there's a similar shareware program for PC's.

However, you can also just drag the songs from your flash drive into the main iTunes window on your new machine, and iTunes will do the rest (put them in the proper folders, index them, etc.). The only caveat is that iTunes keeps track of how many and on which machines you have music that's been purchased from the iTunes store, and limits you to 5 authorized machines. You can de-authorize a machine that's no longer in use.

In our house, I have my main iTunes library on my PowerMac, almost 7,000 songs. I have 2,000 of these on my MacBook Pro, and my two oldest sons have many of them on their Powerbooks (and we all have various combinations of them on our iPods). Some are from my own CD's; perhaps a thousand or so have been purchased from the iTunes store (since only 4 machines are involved, there's no problem with having the iTunes store music on all four).

• Members

I move my Itunes library around from machine to machine, all Windows PC's. I found it best to delete the old iTunes directory and sub-directories, and copy the whole set over. That moves the proper library info and data files so it doesn't get confused. I use a portable hard drive, but the principal is the same. I also work real hard to only buy iTunes plus songs so I don't have to worry about the DRM issues, though copying disk to disk does not seem to matter.

• Members

on Vista. The good news, I only have about 205 songs so I gonna use my 1G digital flash drive. Has anyone done this? If so please share you knowledge. Thanks.

Trina

Also, if you have an iPod, you can do it with that. You're lucky it all fits on your flash drive, but when it doesn't (like it didn't for me when I shipped off to college), you can enable your iPod as a storage device, drag your library to your iPod, and then iTunes takes care of it, like DonK says. I actually like to organize the songs myself because I'm fairly anal about it and I have a TON of non-iTunes songs (live bootlegs, friend's demos, local bands, etc) that iTunes doesn't recognize so it takes a little bit longer.

Ellen

• Members

OK, it's all Don's fault and all you Mac lovers/owners. :poke:

Well, I did something really, really dumb, I found some shareware click
download then I thought I had save it to my desktop. When I open iTunes my music duplicate itself so now I have 433 songs, I'm assuming I should delete duplicates on Library Music uh? Or, is this the case the duplicates were suppose to transfer over to the new computer. What? I'm confusing myself. I'm the same person who's gonna try to upgrade a relic desktop next week. :rolleyes:

Trina

• Members

You should be able simply to delete the duplicates. BTW, I transfered iTunes from my old XP computer a year ago to a new Vista computer by using my iPod, similar to what you did with the flash drive. I had to do some digging on the iTunes site for instructions, but it worked well.

Bill

• Members

I simply got an ethernet cable, then mapped a network drive from my XP computer to my Vista one.

Open the drive on the old XP box with the new Vista, copied and pasted everything I needed to the new one, including all songs I'd downloaded from the Annex.

Archived