Guitar for slide?

JSDenvir

• Members

I'm looking for a cheap acoustic that I could set up for slide playing. I may well be wrong, but it seems a waste to do it to a good guitar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I play Spanish style slide on every thing I've got with no special setup, but modern delicate guitars like my Taylor just don't seem to make good slide gits. If I was going to go out and buy something I would look for an older cheaply made guitar with a moderately high action (not too high since I still do a lot of fretted play) - an old Harmony or possibly a small Yamaha or something simliar. My old FG-150 stays in open C and sees some slide and some fretted play, and my 000-28 is played a lot in open G and D.

I also play a lot of slide on my two twelve strings (my best Leo Kottke imitation) and I'm fortunate to own two resonators - one which right now is setup for lap slide, the other is a bottle necker.

If you are thinking of a lap slider then the action can be completely wonky since you will be adding a nut extender and not doing any fretted play. Again, almost anything would work here for tuning to D or G, but if you are thinking of so called "dobro G" (also known as high bass G) you might want to be careful - the phat strings and tuned up 5th and 6th might damage a cheap old git.

My recommendation would be a $10 yard sale special with a neck angle that makes it unplayable normally, but still structurally sound - basically a git that no one else wants. Slide on in........

FK06.jpg

Archived