Any Love for a Blueridge BR-63?

Glenn F

• Members

Hi all,

After reading Freeman's link to Maury's sound clips, and checking out the clips of some Martins and Blueridges, I concluded that of all the Blueridges I heard, the BR63 sounded the best. Don't know if it was the recording, or what, but for

• Members

I am not familiar with the different model #s but the Blueridges I have heard sounded great. That said, I wouldn't see a Blueridge as a "beater" per se because they have solid tops and supposedly they are more fragile than most due to the way they are braced. Great guitars, yes; great beaters, I would say, No. Of course, that is just my 2 cents.

• Members

Nice Beater!......I do like Blueridge...they make a nice range of guitars.

But as I have mentioned before, I don't consider any guitar a beater. If its worth my time to play it, its great to me.

Oh, and Baba makes a great point....I kinda feel that way about the Masterbilts...they sound great, play great, but seem awfully light.

• Members

Well,

Thanks for your replies. 'Beater' is probably too harsh a word. I want something I can take out to family gatherings, parties, the country, and not have to worry too much about the vicissitudes of the weather. The BR-63 has laminated back and sides, so would probably handle a bit more humidity than my solid wood guitars.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

I am not familiar with the different model #s but the Blueridges I have heard sounded great. That said, I wouldn't see a Blueridge as a "beater" per se because they have solid tops and supposedly they are more fragile than most due to the way they are braced. Great guitars, yes; great beaters, I would say, No. Of course, that is just my 2 cents.

+1 I have a BR-140 great sounding git but I wouldn't use it for a beater. I just don't think it would take it. Very light instruments which makes them very loud.

• Members

A few months ago when I thought I was completely totally done buying guitars and had everything I would need, I played a BR-70 and promptly went out and bought one. It's the dread equivalent of what you're talking about. I just got my second Blueridge, a BR-183, used with an aftermarket fitted Fishman dual pickup, a blingier and all solid version of the 000 (and the top is that yellow "vintage" color). The electronics and pre-amp battery make it noticeably heavier. I think it's about to become my favorite, the set-up is perfect and it's very easy to play. It's blingier than I prefer -- abalone absolutely everywhere -- but I think Blueridges are really underrated. It took a lot to get me to practice the explanation I was going to have to give my wife for buying again, that's how good I think Blueridges are. (She made me sell a bunch of stuff to pay for them, including some of my cheaper guitars, so I obviously need to work on my speeches.)

Archived