Ibanez AEG20E Buzzing

matt28

• Members

I just recently purchased an Ibanez AEG20. I am very pleased with most aspects of it but there is one problem. When the strings are plucked hard there is a some kind of buzzing. I have noticed other people complaining about this. From my investigation, it appears that the buzzing is originating somewhere in the electronics, maybe a loose screw, not in the action. Then again, I could be wrong. Does anybody know how to fix this kind of thing?

Thanks,

Matt:)

• Members

You could loosen the strings and fiddle around inside to see if you can find something loose. It could be a wire resting against the body of the guitar that's vibrating. You could try to reorient them a little and that may help. And also check that the preamp isn't moving about at all.....a vibrating retaining clip or something like that maybe. Also check that it's not coming from the battery compartment.

(And you're sure it's not fret buzz; am I right?)

You could also simply return for another.

Good luck.

• Members

You could loosen the strings and fiddle around inside to see if you can find something loose. It could be a wire resting against the body of the guitar that's vibrating. You could try to reorient them a little and that may help. And also check that the preamp isn't moving about at all.....a vibrating retaining clip or something like that maybe. Also check that it's not coming from the battery compartment.

(And you're sure it's not fret buzz; am I right?)

You could also simply return for another.

Good luck.

+1

Make sure that you have the battery installed, empty battery cases like to buzz

• Members

Matt,

Does the problem happen (buzzing) when it isnt plugged in? I had some trouble with my recent Ibanez purchase, where the headstock wasnt glued properly. It ended up the headstock was being held together by the bottom two tuners... Not good. It was fixed under warranty. You could tell by flexing the headstock a little by hand and see where the glue joint had failed. It might not have anything to do with your troubles, but I thought I would mention it. The symptoms were similar.

Good luck,

Kurt

• Members

Matt,

Does the problem happen (buzzing) when it isnt plugged in? I had some trouble with my recent Ibanez purchase, where the headstock wasnt glued properly. It ended up the headstock was being held together by the bottom two tuners... Not good. It was fixed under warranty. You could tell by flexing the headstock a little by hand and see where the glue joint had failed. It might not have anything to do with your troubles, but I thought I would mention it. The symptoms were similar.

Good luck,

Kurt

Dang, that's scary. I have this mental image of being hit in the side of the face by a flying headstock. :eek:

Glad you caught that before it cut loose.

Back on topic.....

The wires of my K&K PUP were too long and they made a racket bouncing around off the top of my git whenever I played. Drove me kooky until the dim light bulb in my brain came on and I poked a mirror in the git to have a look. Had to double-up the wires and wrap a piece of tape around them.

Looks like crap, but nobody sees the inside of the git anyway.

• Members

. . . The wires of my K&K PUP were too long and they made a racket bouncing around off the top of my git whenever I played. Drove me kooky until the dim light bulb in my brain came on and I poked a mirror in the git to have a look. Had to double-up the wires and wrap a piece of tape around them.

Looks like crap, but nobody sees the inside of the git anyway.

:thu: +1! A couple of weeks after I put the UST in my Ibanez, I was playing in worship as usual when I noticed a buzzing that was even audible through the amp! I was playing with a capo at the time and I spent a verse or two playing with it without getting rid of the buzz. Afterward, I figured out what the problem was and I used a wire tie to anchor the pickup lead to the lead running from the battery to the preamp.

• Members

:thu:
+1! A couple of weeks after I put the UST in my Ibanez, I was playing in worship as usual when I noticed a buzzing that was even audible through the amp! I was playing with a capo at the time and I spent a verse or two playing with it without getting rid of the buzz. Afterward, I figured out what the problem was and I used a wire tie to anchor the pickup lead to the lead running from the battery to the preamp.

How aggravating, having one's git make a buzz racket while playing worship!

I'm glad I discovered my issue while at home. It was cold, windy and rainy the day I figured out what the problem was, so I didn't bother to go out to the carport for a wire tie. I now have one sitting on the table in the music room and I'll replace the sloppy tape with it next time I change strings.

Then I won't be embarrassed if a tech ever looks inside my git. :p

Archived