So I was in a pawn shop today....

daklander

• Members

Looking to see if they had a recording interface to replace my dead desktop mixer, and there was a guy in there looking at some used acoustics. After hearing me talk to one of the sales guys about what they had and the possibility of swapping my Bassman 60 for a Roland Keyboard amp they have there the guy showed me one of the guitars he was interested in. It was an Applause with action you could, if you smoked cigarettes, slide one through with no problems. He asked if that didn't seem to be too high and I told him yeah, but there were other things to look at to make sure. We begged a straight edge from the workers. It was a plastic 3 footer but what the hell. I laid that thing down, bending the long end out of the way of the nut and the that thing actually touched the soundboard at the bottom of the bridge. I told the guy to pass on the $150.00 price tag on that one. There was another Applause in there as well, with decent looking action, and he passed on it as well. I told the workers that that guitar needed a reset and that it was going to cost more than the guitar was worth but they didn't seem to give {censored}. They were more interested in closing up shop for the night. Talking to the looker, he was looking for a guitar because he'd purchased a guitar from his home country, Viet Nam, and it had come in with the neck, as he said, "warped". When I mentioned there were possibly adjustments that could be made to bring the guitar to playing condition he said he'd given the guitar away and that was why he was looking again.

Anyway, that bit of assistance, advice and conversation, turned into a prospect. During our talk I gave him my business card and it turns out he and his wife own some rental property so I also gave him an owner's information booklet outlining our management policies and charges and that may turn into some business for me. Go figure.

As to the reason I went in, they did have a couple of interfaces there. One, a M-Audio USB single XLR and instrument input unit and a Tascam, I think a US122L, Might have been a US144, that they wanted, I think, too much money for. Quoted, under their listed price, at $50.00 for the M-Audio and $80.00 for the Tascam.

What about It? Either interface worth a better look?

I may take the bass amp in for a comparison and negotiation because I did specify a straight across trade on it.

Archived