Installing an Endpin

Jimbo79

• Members

I've got a question.

My new Guild came with the endpin in a bag with the hex wrench. I took it out to put it in expecting to overcome some friction. However it goes in fairly easily.

How do you secure to endpin for immediate usage while still allowing it to be removed for installing an endpin jack?

Thanks

• Members

It should be a tapered fit and is pressed in just like bridge pins. When you change to an endpin jack you will ream (not drill) a cylinderical hole using the correct sized reamer. An option is one company that makes a tapered jack if you think you will ever go back.

• Members

It strikes me that if the endpin doesn't fit in the endpin hole (too small), that maybe the endpin hole has already been reamed for a jack?

The endpin fits but it doesn't have alot of grip. I was wondering if there is a glue that would hold it securely in place. That way I could use a strap.

Then in the future if I add a pick-up, easily remove the endpin to install a jack. I know that once an endpin jack goes in the original endpin is useless.

I should have been a little clearer in my original post, but was a little rushed.

Sorry about that.

• Members

Why not just install the end-pin jack now and wire it later when you get the pick-up you want. The install just takes a couple of minutes once you remove the strings, which you may well be changing anyway.

• Members

The endpin fits but it doesn't have alot of grip. I was wondering if there is a glue that would hold it securely in place. That way I could use a strap.

Then in the future if I add a pick-up, easily remove the endpin to install a jack. I know that once an endpin jack goes in the original endpin is useless.

I should have been a little clearer in my original post, but was a little rushed.

Sorry about that.

Do not glue the end pin into place, because doing so can potentially lead to a cracked end block or worse. Loose fitting end-pins often indicate the need for your guitar probably to be humidified.

Head to

www.frets.com

and you'll see an article concerning end pin problems and repairs. :thu:

Archived