Benchmark/Reference Standard Of Taylor 12 String Guitars?

Rob G

• Members

Benchmark/Reference Standard Of Taylor 12 String Guitars? Is there one. If so would it be the Taylor 655(not manufactured this year unless custom ordered), the 855(not manufactured this year either unless custom ordered), or some other model?

Rob G..:cool:

• Members

Out of the 555, 655, 755 which to everyones knowledge seems to be the most popular?

Rob G..

That's a tougher question...I'll guess the 755, only due to the "myth" that rosewood is the "ultimate" wood for making the b/s of a guitar...

Me, I'd prefer the 555 (and the 355, which I currently own).

And FK is absolutely correct about the 355 being a superior value! :thu:

• Members

That's a tougher question...I'll guess the 755, only due to the "myth" that rosewood is the "ultimate" wood for making the b/s of a guitar...

Me, I'd prefer the 555 (and the 355, which I currently own).

And FK is absolutely correct about the 355 being a superior value!
:thu:

Kottke argues that mahogany is by far the best tonewood for a 12 string - with so many overtones and all the octaves you don't need the additional complexity of rose. That would make the 555 (and 355) preferable to 755, however, both my 12's (neither Taylors) are rose because I just love the looks.

One of my buddies has a 855 or 955 (never sure which, rosewood with just a ton of bling) - I'm afraid to touch that guitar. As far as I'm concerned it was God's way to telling him he has too much money.

• Members

Kottke argues that mahogany is by far the best tonewood for a 12 string - with so many overtones and all the octaves you don't need the additional complexity of rose. That would make the 555 (and 355) preferable to 755, however, both my 12's (neither Taylors) are rose because I just love the looks.

One of my buddies has a 855 or 955 (never sure which, rosewood with just a ton of bling) - I'm afraid to touch that guitar. As far as I'm concerned it was God's way to telling him he has too much money.

Absolutely agree w/ Kottke...mahogany is THE wood for 12s (and 6s, for that matter), but rosewood can be prettier...sapele gives ya both, though... :thu:

A ton of bling is likely as not a 955...did it look like this one?

ad984a33842edc941dd1a7768aca4a4e.jpg

• Members

Absolutely agree w/ Kottke...mahogany is THE wood for 12s (and 6s, for that matter), but rosewood can be prettier...sapele gives ya both, though...
:thu:

A ton of bling is likely as not a 955...did it look like this one?

ad984a33842edc941dd1a7768aca4a4e.jpg

That is beautiful!

Maybe I am into blingy bguitars afterall, although that Martin is too too much!

• Members

I have a 655 from the early 80s, flame maple sides and back. The top is now a mellow yellow. If you think of maple as being a "brighter" wood than rose or mahog, and you think of Taylors as being "bright," too, you would probably think that maple is just piling on. But you will not get that Taylor from me except to pry it out of my cold, dead hands....

• Members

What does everybody think about the 855's, & the new GA series(not to get off the original subject so much). Also it sometimes is perceived that the 655 is to Taylor 12 string guitars what Martin D 28's are to Martin 6 string guitars. Correct this if it's wrong.

Rob G..:cool:

• Members

Rob, I don't want to drive you away from HCAG, but the guys who really know their Taylors hang out here.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Some of us own or play a few models, but the AGF folks can pretty much answer all your questions. There are a few Taylor 12 string sound clips at the Podium, unfortunately not many of the ones you are asking about

http://www.thepodium.com/t-soundsamples.aspx

Another person who knows a lot about 12 strings, plays several different Taylors (and others) and regularly contributes to some of the forums is Art Sulger - you might fire an e-mail to him

http://www.sulger.net/

Archived