A solid, archtop acoustic for under $200? GAS!

EvilTwin

• Members

I just went to Make 'n Music (Frederick, MD), and spied one of these on the wall:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Performer-Archtop-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512177

It reminded me of the small-bodied Guild that Marcellis has, so I gave it a shot, assuming it was just a cheap little all-lam acoustic electric. But apparently it's a solid top, and yep, it's definitely arched. I couldn't tell at the store if there was just some laminate around the soundhole or what...but it's weird that the specs say "select spruce" while the description says "solid."

It only had .10's on it, but I was impressed with the sound. I had a clerk in the store play it, and then play a Big Baby Taylor, to compare volume. The BB was just a tad louder, making me wonder what the Dean would sound like with .11's or .12's on it.

Someone stop me from buying a Dean (with that ugly ass bridge). Please! :D

• Members

Someone stop me from buying a Dean (with that ugly ass bridge). Please!
:D

I've never liked Dean acoustics. I've found (especially the Performer series that this little guy falls into) that they have lackluster sound. So for me to even consider this guitar it would have to really impress me with it's sound.

Also I really like loud guitars and if a Big Baby was louder than this that would probably rule it out for me. :rolleyes:

Ellen

• Members

I think it might just be hard to see from the MF pic, bjorn. This pic is a little better view:

Ellen

I still can't consider that guitar an archtop. I'll forgive it for not being a true arch-top (ie, carved) but I can't forgive the fixed bridge. Archtops do not have fixed bridges. Now the top maybe slightly domed, like most acoustics, but that ain't no archtop, by any stretch.

• Members

I still can't consider that guitar an archtop. I'll forgive it for not being a true arch-top (ie, carved) but I can't forgive the fixed bridge. Archtops do not have fixed bridges. Now the top maybe slightly domed, like most acoustics, but that ain't no archtop, by any stretch.

That's my thought as well. If that's an archtop, so is my Yamaha 335 dreadnought.

• Members

Noted. :thu: Good call, I was only going by the fact that the top was more arched than normal.

Ellen

• Members

Dean does make a true archtop under $200 if you buy it used....

Or at least new-old-stock.

Damn fine Korean archtop for the money if you swap out the pickups.....

fecb_3.JPG

The image is blocked here at work, but I'll check it out when I get home. :thu:

On the subject of the Dean's "archtop authenticity," it does have an arched top. It doesn't have a tail piece and floating bridge, but it also is not constructed like a flat top. It's a mongrel of sorts. But sheesh, I'm not gonna argue about it. :idk:

Archived