acoustic pickup recommendations please

vchizzle

• Members

I've got a Larrivee D-03 Walnut. I am looking for a pickup system to install. I will likely buy a Baggs ParaDI to use as my preamp/DI so I don't need to mount any big controls on the guitar itself hopefully.

Use....I want to have it be capable of being used in a rock band stage situation live. Also want to be able to have the most natural sound of the guitar possible for doing amplified acoustic solo/singer/songwriter type work.

I guess I'd prefer to not have a sound hole pickup, in case I HAVE to put the horrible rubber stopper in there for feedback issues. But I'll take any suggestions.

• Members

I have a Schertler DYN-G pickup that can be mounted with putty onto the body of your guitar. I like it. You can move it around to find the sweet spot on your guitars. It's a natural sound as far as pickups go. Mic'ing is better but the freedom it gives me when playing gigs makes it worth it.

I like the fact that I don't have to put any electronics on my acoustic and it's totally interchangeable with my guitars.

• Members

I would suggest K&K mini for a good all round pickup. Especially for solo playing or recording. Works well with the Para DI. If a band situation I like the Baggs Element UST. Also works well with the the Para DI.

• Members

For your situation, any under saddle transducer (UST) should work fine. I happen to have a Shadow but Fishman is pretty much the standard. I'd also recommend you look into a Baggs M1. The active version has a built-in volume control. It's a soundhole pickup but those are the most resistant to feedback so a "feedback buster" shouldn't be necessary.

Archived