Very funny Guitar Center Story on The Acoustic Guitar Forum!

myname1

• Members

This story is NOT my personal one, but it was humerous enough that I thought I would share it with you. I got it off the acoustic guitar forum.

I've posted this in another thread about outrageous claims, but it bears repeating here.

This is kind of a long setup, but this is a true conversation that took place in the Guitar Center in Nashville, TN the first week of March this year. I was in town on business and was browsing for guitars. There were two FABULOUS guitar players back in the acoustic room, one on a 615, and one on a D-28.

Well call them Player 1 and Player 2.

Player 1 - Yeah, I heard James Taylor on PBS last night.

Player 2 - Oh yeah - I saw that, too... Just him and a piano player.

Player 1 - JT can sure play.

Player 2 - Yeah, he can.

Player 1 - I didn't recognize the guitar he was playing, it looked like it had a wide body but a real skinny middle, and there wasn't a name on the headstock, just the letter "O".

Player 2 - Yeah, I've never seen a guitar like that.

Me - Sorry to interrupt, fellas, but I heard you talking about James Taylor. He plays a guitar built by a luthier named James Olson. In fact, it's a signature model, based on a body style called "SJ".

Player 1 - Does "SJ" stand for small jumbo?

Me - You know, I think so, but I can't guarantee it.

Player 2, talking to me - Have you ever seen an Olson guitar?

Me - Yes, I got to play one once, it was amazing.

Player 1 - Well, they must not be all that great.

Me - Why would you say that?

Player 1 - Because Guitar Center doesn't have 'em.

LOL!

That is like saying because a store does not carry Rolex watches, they must not be any good!

• Members

Speaking of Walmart....I refuse to shop there.

There, I got it out....that felt pretty good.

So, back to talking guitars....never seen an Olsen outside of a video I own of JT playing one....it sounds beautiful.

• Members

Speaking of Walmart....I refuse to shop there.

There, I got it out....that felt pretty good.

So, back to talking guitars....never seen an Olsen outside of a video I own of JT playing one....it sounds beautiful.

me too, good job!

• Members

Guitar center caters to mostly beginner guitars to few lower upper end models. Once you get to a custom built James Olsen your in such a different league of guitar building that even the "high end" Guitar Center guitars will seem like an average guitar that is nothing special.

• Members

Guitar center caters to mostly beginner guitars to few lower upper end models. Once you get to a custom built James Olsen your in such a different league of guitar building that even the "high end" Guitar Center guitars will seem like an average guitar that is nothing special.

You don't have to go anywhere near that level to be bored with GC's offerings.

High end at a GC, if you're lucky, is a D-41 that looks like it was left in the monkey cage at the zoo. Which, come to think of it, is pretty much what GC is.

• Members

You don't have to go anywhere near that level to be bored with GC's offerings.

High end at a GC, if you're lucky, is a D-41 that looks like it was left in the monkey cage at the zoo. Which, come to think of it, is pretty much what GC is.

yeah, it's the clientele more than the personnel or the selection that keeps me from darkening their door for so many years now.

too many careless abusers and wankers.

Archived