Those Musicians' Friend/Musicians' Gear strings aren't half bad.

geek_usa

• Members

Decided to throw a pack of 12-52s in my cart when I was doing some routine band gear shopping (mics, cables, the usual...). I was pretty hesitant but I figured at $1.99 I couldn't really lose.

I'm a pretty big fan of D'Addario strings for both acoustic and electric; occasionally I'll put on a set of DRs but I've tried lots of strings so I know what I like and don't like.

These strings actually sound very close to (but not quite as mellow) as the D'Addario's.

They feel decent and they have a genuine non-mystery-color to them. I like strings that look like strings. Not orange or tan or mystery color (orange juice & pepsi).

I recorded a sound clip a few hours ago of the strings; and granted, the strings have about 2-3 hours of use on them but I don't have acidic fingers so it's not really even a factor.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TTdHWmd0NmM0b0RIRGc9PQ

I used a Yamaha FGX720SCA plugged into a Peavey MP4 PA mixer. Not the best equipment but you get the idea. Added some mild compression to taste.

Hope you like!

• Members

Obviously, the strings are made by a string manufacturer, not the retailer. So you are buying name brand strings without the name brand. The idea of private labeling is to negotiate away the marketing and peripheral costs attached to a product and pay just the manufacturing costs and markup to the manufacturer. Usually private label products are an excellent value for that reason.

• Members

About 5 years ago, the GC in Arlington, TX. had a deal where you could buy a box w/ either 10 or 12 sets for $5 a box, no limit, so I bought 20 boxes and gave all my picking friends a few sets for Xmas/Winter Holidays, b'day gifts, when I'd run across someone at a picking party w/ dead strings, and other opportunities for Random Acts of Kindness.

Not the longest lived strings for me (I'd get maybe a week or two out of a set), but they sounded OK...besides, at that price, I couldn't care less! :)

Archived