For Hank Williams fans...

masterbuilt

• Members

How Hank Williams got a songwriting contract...

My mother was a country music songwriter in the old Hank Williams tradition and she was told this story by Jimmy Key in Nashville.

Hank Sr. was fairly young and beating the pavement in Nashville trying to get someone to listen to his music. Well, he finally made it into an office and was trying to get the secretary to let him in to speak with a publisher who just about that time popped out the door to go for some lunch.

At that moment, there's Hank Williams with a beatup old flat top guitar and an arm-load of songs he had written. He waved them at the publisher and asked him if he would look at his music and listen to a song.

The publisher said to Hank, "So, You want to be a songwriter, eh kid?" "Okay, sit right there on that sofa. Here's a story... A guy is walking down the street and runs into his ex-girlfriend arm and arm with another man." Then the publisher said, "I'll be back in thirty minutes, write me a song about that story."

Hank sat down and wrote "I Can't Help it if I'm Still in Love with You" and the publisher gave him a songwriting contract.

.... and the rest is history

• Members

Speaking of Hank, anybody listen to Hank III?

I saw Hank III a few years ago. His set as "Hank III" was great but afterwards he came out in his alter ego heavy metal band "Ass Jack" and it was so loud I had to leave.

He does sound just like his grandfather...when he's singing country that is.

• Members

How Hank Williams got a songwriting contract...

A story perpetuated by Wesley Rose - son of Fred Rose, the guy who polished the diamond-in-the-rough that was Hank Sr.

It's been pretty much debunked, as have most of Wesley's stories.

• Members

I love Hank and HankIII (Tricephus). HankIII seems to be one of the few country singers that really has the spirit of his father. Hank couldn't sing about the pills, etc in public, but I am sure he would have.

"Well I'm racin' these backroads, tryin' to save my life,

Cause the sheriff wants to kill me cause I F@cked his wife."

A great lyric, and probably a true story!

oldMattB

Archived