Tales from a Guitar Store

T.B.

• Members

Cool! :cool:

The last time I was in New York at the music shops on W48th all the guitars were chained to the walls or behind plexiglass barriers. I guess times have changed. I visited Manny's and a few other smaller shops. Manny's was cool and had a wall of photos with all the people who had shopped there. I recall one place that had quite a few Ampeg Dan Armstrong Clear Plexi guitars for like $300. Now these guitars are expensive "collectors" items. This was in 1982-83.

Thanks for the link Trina! :D

• Members
Cool! I'm going to NYC later this week and am staying in Manhattan. I just might have to check it out.
:thu:

Hell, I'd give it a go. I have a nice Sam Ash in town. Did you check out the 13 year old buying a guitar for a friend....nothing wrong with the economy in New York.

• Members

Hell, I'd give it a go. I have a nice Sam Ash in town. Did you check out the 13 year old buying a guitar for a friend....nothing wrong with the economy in New York.

Yeah, since nobody drives in N.Y. City and the fact they do not have to buy that "Liquid Gold" that goes into the gas tank I can see why.

• Members

Cool! I'm going to NYC later this week and am staying in Manhattan. I just might have to check it out.
:thu:

You can skip Sam Ash, unless you want to play a lot of Washburns.

But don't miss Rudy's right down the block, and if you really want a treat get yourself out to Staten Island to Mandolin Brothers!:thu: You won't be sorry you made the trip.

There is also Matt Umanov down in Greenwich Village and there is Chelsea Guitars, a nice little vintage shop on 23rd and 7th right next to the Chelsea Hotel that's worth a visit if you like the old stuff.

Archived