What Ibanez 12 string model is this?

porterrex

• Members

This is unfortunately what I got. Head is with no markings and no photo of label - have not seen the label but it says at model no 8108xxxx refering to a person who has looked inside this guitar.

Maybe the shape of the bridge or the shapes of the inlays is maybe a give-away what model this is?

• Members

Dual trapazoid inlays, moustache bridge, rosewood and spruce....sure looks like a Gibby clone to me. A lot of those were made in the 70's, but cant tell anything by that photo.

Never seen one before...I would ask for a better shot of the label.

• Members

Looking at the finish, I'm still inclined to place it in the 70-80's. The tortoise shell pick guard kind of throws me, because its not Gibsony in shape or material choice...could be mahogany too, really hard to tell. Looks like ebony fingerboard and bridge though. Ibanez like a lot of Japanese and Korean companies cloned the hell out of guitars in the 70's. In one way, they were pretty damn well made guitars. Then they changed out some of the obvious cloning items, like the pick guard, bridge, and headstock shapes and imported under numerous labels. I own a Penco, which was make in Japan for a Pennsylvania company...a real Martin clone....and it does sound good.

If the price is cheap enough, why not take a shot at it? I would still want more photos and info though. Every manufacturer made crappy guitars too.

• Members

Looking at the finish, I'm still inclined to place it in the 70-80's. . . .

. . . If the price is cheap enough, why not take a shot at it? I would still want more photos and info though. Every manufacturer made crappy guitars too.

Assuming C70man is correct about the age of the guitar, it would have to be pretty cheap. 12-strings are inclined to have more issues than 6-strings and old 12-strings can have all sorts of issues, like top bellying (my 1974 vintage 12-string has this), bridges pulling, and especially bad neck angle. That last one requires a "neck reset" to fix and it isn't cheap. Given that you haven't seen the guitar, frankly I wouldn't pay much for it without being able to lok it over first. If you can get your hands on it, go to The Annex and follow the instructions in the "Is My Guitar Sick?" section.

• Members

I will try to see it in a couple of days. The price is 220-250 dollar.

I already have a Martin D12-35 (1968/69) and a Washburn 12 strings but as you know some people have this issue of not being able to stick to one, two, ten or so guitars ....

I have a great Ibanez (six strings) from the 70

Archived