Played a Squire SP-1 today. (3/4 guitar)

happy-man

• Members

In GC checking out 3/4 guitars. They had Martin little thing (not backpacker), Taylor baby, Laguna somthing ($199), Yamaha JR (forget price, >$100), and Squire SP-1 ($99).

The Squire had the lowest build quality, but I found the tone the least annoying of them all. (To be honest, I didn't play the Martin or Taylor today. But I've played those models plenty) I'm too cheap to consider the Martin or Taylor for what I'd use a 3/4 for (travel super beater), but even if I had the money, I can't stand the sound of those two guitars. Maybe because the body on the Squire is the deepest of the 3 cheaper guitars, but it was the least tinny. The Laguna was in my opinion the nicest to look at and play, but I liked the sound of the Squire better.

I think I have concluded though that if I ever get a 3/4 sized guitar it will have nylon strings.

Scott O

• Members

Build quality or price not withstanding - whenever considering lower budget beaters - I'd suggest giving the tuners a serious test drive by de-tuning and re-tuning each string in turn and checking them for stability. Tuning mechanisms tend not to be the best quality on el cheapo guitars and finding one with decent sets fitted can tend to be a very hit and miss affair.

Other problem areas - re. slot headed classicals - can be cracked or poorly finished plastic tuning pegs and buttons.

• Members

A music school a couple of my kids go to have loaner guitars for the kids that are starting out. The school buys these cheap classicals (Palmer I think) that I believe they only pay about $70-$80 for. I've played them while waiting for my kids during lesson time. He kids beat the crap out of them, the build quality is as would be expected for the price, but to my ear they sound more pleasant than any 3/4 size steel string I've played.

Gary,

I just noted the guitars listed in your sig. Nice list. Curious that you have both an FG720S and an FG730S. When I've played the different FG7xxS guitars I've not noticed a difference that I'd attribute to more than just the fact that no two guitars are identical. How are your two different to you? I like that series and think they are an astounding value. I also played an TAN45C today. That is a nice guitar.

Scott O

• Members

A music school a couple of my kids go to have loaner guitars for the kids that are starting out. The school buys these cheap classicals (Palmer I think) that I believe they only pay about $70-$80 for. I've played them while waiting for my kids during lesson time. He kids beat the crap out of them, the build quality is as would be expected for the price, but to my ear they sound more pleasant than any 3/4 size steel string I've played.

Hi Scott,

I know a budget brand named Palma (Spanish and Italian version of my surname) that's pretty popular with schools over here - one of my youngest daughter's friends has one that doesn't sound too bad at all. I've also heard of Korean /Chinese made Palmer instruments and they seem okay, but they bear no relation to the ones I build.

Gary,

I just noted the guitars listed in your sig. Nice list. Curious that you have both an FG720S and an FG730S. When I've played the different FG7xxS guitars I've not noticed a difference that I'd attribute to more than just the fact that no two guitars are identical. How are your two different to you? I like that series and think they are an astounding value. I also played an TAN45C today. That is a nice guitar.

I did have an FG720S until very recently - giving mine to my middle daughter - and can say that their mahogany b&s is much brighter than the rosewood found on the FG730S, but string choice can make one heck of a difference in driving soundboard, back and sides too. Soon after giving my FG720S away - on semi permanent loan - I replaced it with it's smaller, but still big sounding cousin the FS720S. I'd bought one for my youngest daughter and liked it, so had to pick one up for myself. I have nothing but praise for the build quality, playability and tonality of Yamaha guitars and now tend to reach for them when teaching classes as they do their job very well.

My Takamine tends to be kept for amplified live and recording work and I can't fault it one bit.

• Members

I have a 20-year old 3/4 size Pac-rim gut box that sounds surprisingly sweet. It was given to my by an aunt. The first time I played it, I was astounded by the resonance. It's not "plinky" like many small gits I've played.

It's the perfect "keep by the couch" git. Comfy to play and it's sweet tones are quite soothing and mellow, yet not particularly quiet. For some reason, this little box also produces some nice volume when I ask it to - again, pleasantly surprising.

• Members

I bought one of those Gretsch "Sundowner" plywood guitars to use as a learner/beater. (Actually, I bought the one with the flling saucers on the front. My GF loves flying saucers, so I gave it to het for Valentines Day because I wantd it for myself!)

It sounds suprisingly good, plays 100% and we don't have to worry about taking it anywhere.

I've had some real players drop by and give it a test drive and everyone smiles when they hit the first notes and they keep smiling! My local dealer has one left, that sounds even better than mine but you sure don't need two of em!

For $100 bucks you cant go wrong.

Archived