care and preventative maintenance on the road

J.Paul

• Members

Someone gave me a nice Taylor tonight.

I've never traveled with a high end acoustic before and am looking for some tips. Normally I use middle of the road acoustics while on the road but now I have this guitar (with the Taylor hard case) I've been gone since May and won't be back until October.......

I need to get a anti-humidifier?

Do I leave it strung up to A440 (in the sweltering heat in the trailer) or detune it when in transit?

What do I need to know regarding care on the road for acoustics?

• Members

Temperature-wise, anywhere you're not comfortable, your guitar won't be, either!

OTOH, you can put your guitar (in it's case) inside a sleeping bag and protect it against major temperature changes...surplus stores sell used ones very cheaply, and this does work.

My wife took a few and shortened them to where they fit my cases perfectly, and this is how my acoustics travel, in the back of my truck. :idea:

As for a humidifier/de-humidifier, I use the "old-school" method of taking a plastic "traveler's" soap holder, drill a few holes in it (3/16", I think, but it really doesn't matter much) and keep a half on an apple on it, inside the case's accessory area...change the apple-half every few months or every once in a while (makes the inside the case have a fain "apple-y" smell, too!)

Likely the new-and-improved "store-bought" (;)) units are just as good, though.

Hope this is of help! :)

• Members

When my band travels, the instuments are in the van with us. The only time instruments are not in direct physical possession is at food stops, or if they're left in a secure location. So they suffer no more from heat & humidity than we do. Inconveniant, but less so than having one overheated and reaclimate itself through a gig, and far better than waking up and finding your guitar, van and trailor have been absconded with.

Archived