Anyone know James Taylor's gear?

Christopher Kai

• Members

Last I heard, James Taylor is still using Olson guitars as his main instruments and has been since '89, with LR Baggs p'ups ( Piezo & pre-amp), mic'ing, finger nails and a decent sound engineer. ;)

He used to play Gibson J-50 (Mic'd) during his earlier recording and performances.

LOL Terry beat me to it.

• Members

Last I heard, James Taylor is still using Olson guitars as his main instruments and has been since '89, with LR Baggs p'ups ( Piezo & pre-amp), mic'ing, finger nails and a decent sound engineer.
;)

He used to play Gibson J-50 (Mic'd) during his earlier recording and performances.

LOL Terry beat me to it.

Sadly, he did go through an "electric period"....lasted the better part of an hour and a half... :p

james_taylor2.jpg

• Members

He also played some guitars made by Mark Whitebook. Recently saw him pictured with a Northwood guitar.

Abando

Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor

Aria AD-35

Walden G2070

Breedlove AD20/SM

Blueridge BR-160

Larrivee L-03R

Larrivee L-03E

Larrivee D-03R

Martin D-28

• Members

Sometimes he uses a drum machine, too.

Thanks for posting that pic! I've only seen it in action on his One Man Band DVD and think it's a marvelous invention. I'd love to build something like that one day, if only for the challenge of doing so. It looks a lot more complex in your pic than I thought, though. Good find.

• Members

He's one of the few folks who I've ever heard get a lovely live tone from an undersaddle pickup.

He uses a baggs element in his main Olson, run into an Aura unit that has chip made from recording that Olson, he blends 50% of the modeler, and 50% of the dry UST signal to a radial PZ preamp/d.i. then out to the sound guy on the desk.

He plays very gentley, right hand wise too.

• Members

Sometimes he uses a drum machine, too.

jamestaylor.600.jpg

I saw him do a song with that contraption on TV, and it really sounds pretty cool... :thu:

I'd sure hate to have to haul it around, though :eek:

Think I've heard that it works on the same principal as a player piano...paper rolls with tiny holes to control the various notes/sounds.

• Members

Think I've heard that it works on the same principal as a player piano...paper rolls with tiny holes to control the various notes/sounds.

I think it's just a mechanical cam system. The horizonal wooden barrel is turned by a motor and has (adjustable?) ramps around its circumference. As the barrel turns, the ramps act like cam lobes to raise the arms (probably spring loaded). When the travel gets to its peak, the ramp drops off and the arm drops or is pulled by a spring down on the instrument positioned below. The speed that the barrel turns would adjust the tempo. The spacing of the high spots (ramps) around the barrel dictates which and when each arm gets raised and dropped and instruments get struck as the barrel turns. With multiple or adjustable high spots on each ramp band, you could strike each instrument once or multiple times for each revolution of the barrel. I haven't watched the DVD in awhile, but as I recall, the barrel turns pretty slowly, like maybe 15 rpm. The front section serves as a sound box that simulates a bass drum when the 2x6 drops onto it. It appears to be removable for transport. Take the instruments and arm extensions off, drop a cover over the mechanics and roll it away.

• Members

Terry.....I think that "j-50" he was playing in the 60's and 70's was actually a j-45 with its top finish stripped.....those sunburst gibsons had a finish about a mile thick and could be made a LOT louder by stripping them and applying a thin lacquer coat....

Archived