Taylor 315ce vs 314ce.

Poe36

• Members

So I've decided that after I get more cash for Christmas, I'm going to get a new acoustic. The two guitars in the title of this thread are the ones I'm looking at. They are the same price, but one is jumbo body and the other is grand auditorium. I'm sorta a noob when it comes to acoustic, and since I'm paying a pretty good amount (for a college student) I want to make sure I'm getting exactly what I want. So my question is: what exactly are the tonal differences between these two?

If you guys have any other suggestions in the +/- 1500$ range that you think would be better, please feel free to let me know. Used is an option too. Oh and if it helps, I fingerpick a lot, want to eventually learn how to play stuff like John Butler, Andy Mckee, and Justin King, and I really want a single cut-a-way. So please just keep these things in mind while suggesting guitars.

Thank you acoustic guitar forum!

• Members

Well, in general, and I hate generalities, a GA like the 314 is a well balance "do anything" guitar - they tend to be the size of choice for fingerstyle players but they can also strum and even do a little flatpicking. They won't have the driving bass of a dread (310 in Taylors line) nor maybe the richness of the jumbo. I happen to have a 314 (no C or E).

Jumbos are, well, big. They have big huge voices with lots of bass, but because of their somewhat pinched waist, have pretty good mids and trebles too (unlike the dread). They are often the guitar of choice for strummers - and make a great size for a 12 string.

Taylor does both sizes very well and the 3xx series is a very good compromise between cost and features. The new NT neck and new ES are both very good, the older ES had a lot of problems. Sapele is a tone wood very much like mahogany, it won't have all the overtones of rosewood (or ovangkol in the 4xx series) but will maybe be a little more "woody" or bluesy sounding. It tends to record well. Again, it is a nice wood to bring out each string without making it too complex.

I'll add one comment to my glowing report - even tho I own a 314 I have never completely bonded with it. It was a gift from a wonderful woman but if I was to have picked it myself I probably would have selected something like a Martin OM-21. I am primarily a fingerstyle blues player and the taylor has just too modern a sound to it - nice, but not what I really perfer.

I believe that there are clips of some different taylors at the Podium (google or follow the link the Links section of the Annex) and let your ears decide. And let us know what you think.

• Members

Well, in general, and I hate generalities, a GA like the 314 is a well balance "do anything" guitar - they tend to be the size of choice for fingerstyle players but they can also strum and even do a little flatpicking. They won't have the driving bass of a dread (310 in Taylors line) nor maybe the richness of the jumbo. I happen to have a 314 (no C or E).

Jumbos are, well, big. They have big huge voices with lots of bass, but because of their somewhat pinched waist, have pretty good mids and trebles too (unlike the dread). They are often the guitar of choice for strummers - and make a great size for a 12 string.

Taylor does both sizes very well and the 3xx series is a very good compromise between cost and features. The new NT neck and new ES are both very good, the older ES had a lot of problems. Sapele is a tone wood very much like mahogany, it won't have all the overtones of rosewood (or ovangkol in the 4xx series) but will maybe be a little more "woody" or bluesy sounding. It tends to record well. Again, it is a nice wood to bring out each string without making it too complex.

I'll add one comment to my glowing report - even tho I own a 314 I have never completely bonded with it. It was a gift from a wonderful woman but if I was to have picked it myself I probably would have selected something like a Martin OM-21. I am primarily a fingerstyle blues player and the taylor has just too modern a sound to it - nice, but not what I really perfer.

I believe that there are clips of some different taylors at the Podium (google or follow the link the Links section of the Annex) and let your ears decide. And let us know what you think.

Oh wow thanks for the outstanding response haha. the only thing is i really like rich sounding tones with plenty of overtones. Do you think it would be worth the effort to scrounge up a few more bucks for a 414/15? I'm going to check out that Podium site to see if I like the GA or Jumbo more.

• Members

I think checking out a Larrive LV-03RE would be a great idea.

They're great guitars, tons of people on this forum love them.

Rosewood back and sides will give you darkness and lots of overtones.

Try to find one to play.

Is the cutaway truly necessary?

They're expensive (Taylor charges $300+ more for one) and you might be able to get more guitar for your money if you can do without one.

• Members

I think checking out a Larrive LV-03RE would be a great idea.

They're great guitars, tons of people on this forum love them.

Rosewood back and sides will give you darkness and lots of overtones.

Try to find one to play.

Is the cutaway truly necessary?

They're expensive (Taylor charges $300+ more for one) and you might be able to get more guitar for your money if you can do without one.

I'll definitely check out those Larrives. The only reason I want the cut is for the fret access. I do use those quite a bit on my current guitar.

• Members

well thanks for all the great advice guys. im going to try out everything i can get my hands on until i decide to buy. hopefully i can find a shop that has both the 314 and 315 in so i can do a side-by-side.

• Members

Let me throw something else in the mix. I've been looking at the two Taylors in the title as well but I've just found out that Taylor themselves makes some nice competition for them. If you're ok with losing the cutaway there's a GA-3 in the "acoustic" lineup you can add the ES system to for about $500 less at retail than the 314ce. If you'd like a bigger body then there's the dreadnaught DN-3 at the same price point.

I have to say right now though, the 315ce is the leader for me. Everybody plays grand auditorium Taylors and jumbo guitars have always done it for me. Happy hunting.

Archived