Bracing 101

Freeman Keller

• Members

No problem Freeman and Happy New Year everyone.

I'm presently going through an RA flare-up, but will try and get on top of things over the next week or so and can pull together more detail from past spec sheets, up-coming build plans and work in progress.

I was given a new camera for Xmas, so - in future - should also be able to provide some work in progress picture sets once I've mastered this new fangled digital camera thingy. :thu:

• Members

The UMGF has Something probably worth checking out. In the Technical Info forum, there's a thread called the bracing library. There's instructions there on how to photograph the bracing pattern of your guitars. There's dozens of pictures of bracing patterns of different guitars. It's not restricted to Martins. Very informative.

• Members

The UMGF has Something probably worth checking out. In the Technical Info forum, there's a thread called the bracing library. There's instructions there on how to photograph the bracing pattern of your guitars. There's dozens of pictures of bracing patterns of different guitars. It's not restricted to Martins. Very informative.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that one and I'll put a link to it in the Annex article. Frank Ford also has some great shots of the insides of a bunch of different guitars, I'll link those too.

Because of copywrites I can't just include those pictures, besides it would be a lot more fun to get forum members to write what they know about bracing.

• Members

Very informative and succinct.

Freeman, what is a "forward shifted" X-brace and why are they used?

Also, my Larrivee OM-09 uses what Larrivee describes as a "Symmetrical Parabolic X-Bracing"? Do you have any idea what that means? Or is it just a fancy name for normal X-bracing?

Thanks.

• Members

Hey Freeman. I'm posting this from my phone and have limited ability click on links and check things out. IIRC, the StewMac uke i built had a ladder braced top, although that thing is so tiny there wasn't a whole lot to brace.

There is a link to the project in my sig. I'm fairly certain that I took pics of that step.

Well, upon further review from an actual computer, I don't have pics of just the top braces... just a pic with them under the clamps. The pattern on the top is the same as on the back with the addition of a bridge plate, which there is a pic of.

-A

Archived