Can someone tell me what they think this guitar is worth?

schiz

• Members

I have an Epiphone PR-6E Acoustic-Electric Guitar with a solid spruce top, quilted maple back and sides accented with abalone inlays around the body. The neck has Abalone/Mother of Pearl inlays as well. Shadow Classic P-4 preamp with piezo pickups. Produces warm, natural tones. Gold Grover tuners.

The link I found for it says it is a discontinued guitar. Why? I have no idea. It plays beautifully and it looks and sounds better than many of Epiphone's other acoustics IMO.

document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=

I am not sure what you can make of the images in that link. I can say that the ones they show there are a black one, and a blue one. I have the black one. I bought this as my first acoustic and now she just sits. I hate to see it just hanging on my wall. I don't know the real story behind this guitar but I know it has been around. I bought it from a guy that said he bought it at an estate sale for some of the Mario Andretti family in the hills of Pennsylvania.

After giving it a thorough inspection though I noticed the back of the headstock has USED stamped in it, but has been painted over. Factory reconditioned perhaps? B stock?

One other thing of note about this guitar is when looking at it in the light, at an angle, if you look at the truss rod cover closely it clearly says, University of Florida.

I am not real sure of the value of something like this and I am just wondering what I would be looking at if I decided to sell/trade her.

• Members

Well, at least I know someone actually thought about it. I kind of think its worth a little more than that though. The guitar is flawless. I have played many a guitar that are supposed to be higher ended acoustics, that dont sound any better than this guitar.
I found a site about a year ago that had an actual review of this guitar when it was brand new. It sold for like $599. Other than the truss rod not being factory, and that blasted USED stamp on the back of the headstock, it looks pristine.

Thanks for the input though...

• Members

I see it with my own eyes and I can not believe it. Although the one I have looks way better than that guitar, it is indeed the same guitar.

I guess I'll be hanging on to her. There is no way I'd get rid of it for that.

Thanks for your time!

• Members

My bad. Here is the Craigslist link:

That one is indeed slightly different. The pick ups must be different. Odd color on that one too. That is a first. I have never seen the PR-6E in a color like that.

Ah and after looking at it again, the hardware is different. Maybe not original?

Dunno...

Thanks again bro....

• Members

It is a nice guitar. It is just that used Epiphones are not going to hold their value all that well. In addition, the "USED" stamp signifies that the guitar was new but somehow damaged and then restored and sold without warranty. You can see a lot of the Epiphone Masterbilts on Ebay with "USED" stamps. They go for significant discounts.

So, if you have a used guitar with a "USED" stamp and that particular brand of guitar does not hold its value well anyway, well, then you have the perfect storm of musical instrument depreciation. :facepalm:

• Members

Just blows my mind that such a beautiful guitar, with a deep warm tone, can be so worthless for resale value.
No biggie though. I will hang her on my wall next to my Ibanez and not feel bad about having it at all. Still a great guitar. I guess it just goes to show that even some guitars of lower cash value, there are still some good ones to be had really cheap. :)

• Members

Here is my general theory on pricing used guitars. Take the manufacturers LIST price for a new one (not any of the advertised prices but list from the web sit). A dealer would pay 50 percent of list, so new your very best price is going to be 60-70 precent of list and will be not only new, but will have a warranty (and should have not issues and be set up perfectly)

OK, a used guitar in perfect condition I figure is worth no more than 50 percent of list, probably more like 40. I start taking off for every issue - does it need a setup, $50-75, does the neck need setting ($250-300), cosmetic scratches (50-100), cracks or humidity neglect (100-infinity). Anyway, you get the picture, important thing here is to know what it costs to get things fixed.

Factor in this economy, there are going to be lots of great guitar deals for people with a little cash. So, no comments on this guitar, but that is always my thinking.

• Members
Just blows my mind that such a beautiful guitar, with a deep warm tone, can be so worthless for resale value.

No biggie though. I will hang her on my wall next to my Ibanez and not feel bad about having it at all. Still a great guitar. I guess it just goes to show that even some guitars of lower cash value, there are still some good ones to be had really cheap.
:)

I have a Yamaha F-335 that I love and sounds great. I paid $100 brand new at GC. It was my first guitar and I will own it forever. You 'd have to offer me over 3 bills to sell it. It's sentimental!!

• Members

I think there is a lot of truth to these statements. Once you find a guitar that has the sound that you like, it becomes very valuable to you. It takes a lot of time and possibly a lot of money to shuffle through guitars until you find something that you like. Once you find it, it represents a lot of cost to go through the process again if something happens to that guitar.

Unfortunately, this value evaporates when you attempt to sell the guitar. You could write paragraphs or a book about the wonderful sound of the guitar and try to convince a potential buyer of this. However, that buyer is looking for a sound that they prefer and your description is all but meaningless to them (or at least to how much they are willing to spend).

Of course, if the guitar sounds that good to you, why would you sell it? On the flip side of the coin, even if you could only get $150 for a guitar, you should still sell it if it isn't doing anything for you. That is $150 that you could use to purchase something that you really like. Don't keep something just because you don't think you can get a good price for it. $150 is better than a guitar spending the rest of its life in a case under your bed.

• Members

I agree with most on here that sentimential or personal value is usually way more than you can get when selliing. You get to a price point (around $100 for me) where its not worth it to sell it. So you have to make a decision. Sometimes I would rather give it away to a kid or new person taking up the guitar and get more satisfaction out of that than my $100 could deliver.

• Members
I agree with most on here that sentimential or personal value is usually way more than you can get when selliing. You get to a price point (around $100 for me) where its not worth it to sell it. So you have to make a decision. Sometimes I would rather give it away to a kid or new person taking up the guitar and get more satisfaction out of that than my $100 could deliver.

Now that deserves a +1000. :thu:

Schismed, find someone new to guitar and get them going! :)

Archived