Pinless bridge that can attach to pinned bridge?

Dr. Porkchop

• Members

Hi. Does anyone know of a pinless bridge that can attach to a normal bridge by either bolting it on through the pin holes or by pins? I would like to use a string through bridge on a normal acoustic. Does this exist and if not is such a thing possible? thanks

You would have to replace your bridge with a pinless bridge. You also may need to reinforce the bridge plate area inside the guitar, but I'm not sure about that.

• Members

aren't there some bridge pins that allow you to put the pin through the top of the pin rather than through the bridge? i thought some one posted something like that recently... and i don't know why that would not work... but it would definitely kill the break angle...

• Members

aren't there some bridge pins that allow you to put the pin through the top of the pin rather than through the bridge? i thought some one posted something like that recently... and i don't know why that would not work... but it would definitely kill the break angle...

Carrico EZ brass pins are sort of like that. The string goes through a hole near the top of the pin, but still below the bridge.

• Members

Unless the saddle is relatively higher in contrast to the the holes through the bridge pins I think you'd lose an appreciable amount of break angle. The bridge doctor I put in one guitar (12 string) had the aft six pins substituted with brass pin-screws. They were screws through the original aft six holes and held the device inside the guitar while the heads protruding up from the bridge were cylindrical with holes cross-drilled to pass the strings through. The break angle across the saddle was severely lessened and resulted in a significant loss in sound for the octaves.

Archived