Overbuilt Acoustics

valentsgrif

• Members

Martin, for example, still overbrace their guitars hence the big premium factored in-by C.F. Martin's admission-to the D-18 and D-28 Authentics to offset future warranty claims when the things start to self-destruct.

I do agree, however, that if a guitar sounds good the build doesn't make any difference.

• Members

I have D28 Standard I bought new in 1985.

I picked it out of 3-4 new 28s and a couple of 18s in stock that day. It was the loudest of the bunch. I also played a couple of lighter braced HD28s as well. Yes, they had a sweeter top end, a little more harmonic character, but no more pure volume and punch than the 28 I went home with. The main reason for picking the standard at the time was I could get it for $900 out the door, and the HDs were going for $1200, and I was poor.

Now, my 28 is still rock solid, has a much sweeter sound than new. Its been thru freezing cold, blistering heat, and raining buckets at more camping & festivals than I can count, with just normal/average precaution taken. THe only work thats ever been done on it was a fret dressing and bone saddle about 10 yrs ago. I actually think it sounds a lot better than most HD28s, new or 20yrs old. Its loud and punchy, a wonderful Bluegrass Rhythm guitar. Single notes cut thru better than the average HD28, they dont get lost in the air.

Now, 24 years later, I'm very glad I made the choice I did. I'll never sell it.

I agree; I always preferred the regular, straight braced, 28 over the HD which I found far too 'boomy' and mushy. I had a nice '84 which I think was the last year of non-adjustable trussrods. When I sold it last year the neck was still as straight as an arrow.

• Members

Yep, the scalloped HDs will seduce you when new, but I've heard more than one turn to mush when it "opens up". By mush I mean it may still sound wonderful by itself but you cant hear the dang thing in a group situation, too boomy and "airy".

I'm not dissing lightly braced guitars tho. They have their place for studio, solo, guitar duos, etc. But if it was me I woudnt pick a lightly braced boutique guitar for my main/jamming/long haul/bluegrass band axe.

Just pointing out the benefts I've experieced over 24 yrs with my tank of a 28 to counter the those corsksniffers who turn their nose up at "overbuilt Martins".

• Members

Most of the popularly known guitar is acoustic. Acoustic guitars are the most preferred guitars for beginners because of their ease of operation. Under the acoustic, we can further drill down. The acoustic electrical, which has a body similar to that of an acoustic, but does not have the sound hole.

Huh? :confused:

• Members

Yep, the scalloped HDs will seduce you when new, but I've heard more than one turn to mush when it "opens up". By mush I mean it may still sound wonderful by itself but you cant hear the dang thing in a group situation, too boomy and "airy".

I'm not dissing lightly braced guitars tho. They have their place for studio, solo, guitar duos, etc. But if it was me I woudnt pick a lightly braced boutique guitar for my main/jamming/long haul/bluegrass band axe.

Just pointing out the benefts I've experieced over 24 yrs with my tank of a 28 to counter the those corsksniffers who turn their nose up at "overbuilt Martins".

I agree with you on this. Unfortunately, modern guitar makers need that guitar to sell when it's new so they strive to make them sound great in the store...not 5 years from now. Taylors seem to be that way a lot these days.

• Members

This is a tough question. My new Yamaha LJ6 is overbuilt but sounds great. I don't think I'll ever have any structural problems with it. Sound is determined by so many interactions in the manufacture of a guitar that it is hard to say that an overbuilt guitar kills the tone.

BigAl :)

• Members

My heaviest(overbuilt) guitar is a 1981 Guild D37. There's a huge block of wood inside where the neck joins the body and the top back and sides(all solid) are rather thick.

My lightest is a 1997 Martin HD35 which feels light as a feather comparison. It feels like you're playing a guitar made of eggshell after playing the Guild. Almost like it could blow away in the slightest breeze.

Both guitars have opened up and are full and resonant though. And, of course, each is unique tonally.

Archived