Taylor 214 vs 314

Willyguitar

• Members

I am a Taylor fanatic. Go with the 214. Here's why. For the extra cash, you can get a good mic system, use it to play live, and even record with it and get a better sound than through the expression system plugged in. In that arrangement, the 214 and the 314 sound the same. I have used my Taylor plugged in and I am now in the habbit of mic'ing instead.

If you play into a PA system live, so much the better, since you can get just about any sound you want out of a good PA, and the 214 and 314 will be indistinguishable in a coffee house or any small venue.

Save your money!

• Members

I am a Taylor fanatic. Go with the 214. Here's why. For the extra cash, you can get a good mic system, use it to play live, and even record with it and get a better sound than through the expression system plugged in. In that arrangement, the 214 and the 314 sound the same. I have used my Taylor plugged in and I am now in the habbit of mic'ing instead.

If you play into a PA system live, so much the better, since you can get just about any sound you want out of a good PA, and the 214 and 314 will be indistinguishable in a coffee house or any small venue.

Save your money!

That's kinda the answer I wanted to hear!! Thanks

Ah, I love this forum!

Mind you. Someone else will come along with a contrary view probably...

• Members

I have played both...mine (214) is a 2004 year and is all solid wood...I wanted at least one all wood guitar...that being said I have played newer ones(214's) and they sound just as good with laminated back and sides so I really wouldn't worry about that. The 314's I have played sound about the same as the 214 just more pretty...the 214 is plain satin finish and low key looking...also another good reason for me to like the 214.

Now if you want a dred then the 310 or DN3 is really nice. I guess save the money and if you want to amplify get an add on sound hole pickup....Cheers!

• Members

I think it depends more upon which 214 vs. which 314 - or GA3, or whatever they're called now. This past week I came across a new 214 and a GA3 (with control knobs jutting out of the side and I was curious to see how they compared. Well, unplugged I'd say that the GA3 was MUCH better. I don't know anything about the electronics, but IIRC the 314/GA3 has an entirely different neck - one that has a wider, bound fretboard that measures 1.75" at the nut.

• Members

I think it depends more upon
which
214 vs.
which
314 - or GA3, or whatever they're called now. This past week I came across a new 214 and a GA3 (with control knobs jutting out of the side and I was curious to see how they compared. Well, unplugged I'd say that the GA3 was MUCH better. I don't know anything about the electronics, but IIRC the 314/GA3 has an entirely different neck - one that has a wider, bound fretboard that measures 1.75" at the nut.

I tried a brand new 214 and 314 side by side. The latter had a slightly better feel, but didn't impress me any more in terms of tonality. I didn't really notice the measurement difference at the nut. I would say the 314 was more mellow and balanced plugged in... but you could adjust things on the 214 to get it close-ish. Obviously that was only on a 10 minute comparison.

Also, I am probably not a very good judge!

• Members

I tried a brand new 214 and 314 side by side. The latter had a slightly better feel, but didn't impress me any more in terms of tonality. I didn't really notice the measurement difference at the nut. I would say the 314 was more mellow and balanced plugged in... but you could adjust things on the 214 to get it close-ish. Obviously that was only on a 10 minute comparison.

Also, I am probably not a very good judge!

I didn't give them that much of a comparison either, honestly. A few years ago I gave both models a hard look, but at the time the 214 was a different guitar, as was the 314. I think Taylor has made improvements to the tone of their entire line though, so it's still relative.

• Members

No. The 214's model designation never changed, though it changed from solid sapele to laminated rosewood and construction was moved to Mexico at some point.

OTOH, the GA3 was formerly known as the 314. Taylor supposedly split the acoustic line into two separate lines, one all-acoustic, the other acoustic/electric. The acoustic 314 became the GA3 (and may have been "revoiced" but I'm not sure about that) but the 314CE remained the same. Apparently, the differences were also supposed to be cosmetic; different binding for the acoustic, etc.

Does that make sense? It is a bit confusing, especially since the acoustic-only GA3 now features a form of the Expression System. Sometimes I wonder if Taylor can keep it straight. :idk:

• Members

No. The 214's model designation never changed, though it changed from solid sapele to laminated rosewood and construction was moved to Mexico at some point.

OTOH, the GA3 was formerly known as the 314. Taylor supposedly split the acoustic line into two separate lines, one all-acoustic, the other acoustic/electric. The acoustic 314 became the GA3 (and may have been "revoiced" but
I'm
not sure about that) but the 314CE remained the same. Apparently, the differences were also supposed to be cosmetic; different binding for the acoustic, etc.

Does that make sense? It
is
a bit confusing, especially since the acoustic-only GA3 now features a form of the Expression System. Sometimes I wonder if
Taylor
can keep it straight.
:idk:

I mean, I guess it makes sense, but I need to make a little chart or something to retain it for any appreciable period of time. Why not just call it the GA2? Why was this a good idea? Was it mostly a marketing thing, like a change of name to reflect the alleged change in the character of the instrument?

• Members

I've got an old 314ce and recently tried a 214ce. Now, in terms of tone they didn't sound very different, and the Rosewood on the back of the 214 looked stunning. The main difference to me is the 314ce is all solid wood has a gloss top and a gloss neck, this to me just lakes it feel like a more solid guitar.

Also with the 314 being all solid, the tone will improve with age more than a 214.

In all honesty both are great guitars you can't go wrong with either of them IMO.

Archived