Resonator Players... what strings?

Tin Type

• Members

so my friend let me borrow his cheapo resonator a while back, and now the strings are far past dull.. because its been with me for some time i think as a friend i should be the one to re string it.. he doesnt remember what strings are on there now... it has been some time.

so resonator players... what kind of strings would you recomend?

• Members

recently brought my first resonator guitar - national style "o"

havent changed the strings yet but i asked about strings for resonators and it's recommended that you use 13-56 brass or nickel strings.

don't think it changes for single, or tricones....

really like the sound of resonators

• Members

so my friend let me borrow his cheapo resonator a while back, and now the strings are far past dull.. because its been with me for some time i think as a friend i should be the one to re string it.. he doesnt remember what strings are on there now... it has been some time.

so resonator players... what kind of strings would you recomend?

How do you plan to tune and play it?

If you are tuning to high G ("dobro G") definitely get one of the "dobro" sets - Pearse are good ones. Usually they are something like 16 to 59 or so, remember that you are tuning the bottom two strings up). These stings and high G tuning works best on a spider, I don't think I'd go that heavy on a biscuit.

However if you are tuning to open G or D I find that a normal set of mediums works pretty well. Most reso player us PB's altho the original National strings were nickel wound. Some reso players like to use an unwound third - in open G that is a "sweet" string and I prefer to not hear the winding rattling against the slide.

A few reso player (Scott Ainsley for example) tune up to A to play Robert Johnson songs - if so be really careful about strings and setup (lights would be best and make sure you have a very shallow break angle). It is possible to crush the cone on a biscuit by tuning up (happened to me) - far better to tune to G and capo if you want to play along with RJ.

• Members

I use Martin phosphor bronze lights on mine. Would probably use nickel but they tarnish too quickly and I don't play the resonator all that often. I keep it in open D for when I feel like going crazy with a bottle neck.

• Members

The gauges on my National Tricone are 16,18,26,36,46,58. The set up is a nice compromise for both slide and fingerstyle but I never play in regular tuning, only open G and D. It's a Michael Messer National set made by Newtone with heavier E and B strings.

• Members

I've got a National Tricone and an El Trovador. I string them with 16-59, and play in G, D, and standard. I reached out to Don Young form NRP asking if this was okay on the Trov and was told "You'll be okay in standard, but don't tune up to E or A."

Recently I've started to experiment with a 13-56 set (factory gauges) and subbing in a 16 and an 18 on top. This allows me to pick with bare fingers and sing on top of her, rather than shout with heavier strings and fingerpicks. Don't know if I'll stick with it, and won't know until my PA gets back from the shop.

BTW, Nationals are known to be pretty ridiculous guitars. I don't think I'd try a set of 16-59's on a cheap-o reso.

Edit: It's a good idea on resos to change strings one at a time. You don't want the cone moving around on you, it's best to keep the pressure of the other 5 strings on it, than to completelly destring it. You could potentially open yourself up to rattles, and intonation issues.

• Members

It's a good idea on resos to change strings one at a time. You don't want the cone moving around on you, it's best to keep the pressure of the other 5 strings on it, than to completelly destring it. You could potentially open yourself up to rattles, and intonation issues.

^^^ This is excellent and sound advice.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey Reso players what do you think about the straight uncompensated biscuit bridge?

Is the intonation a little out on your resonators?

I have been told if it becomes a problem i can get a new compensated design made easily (by the salesman selling me the guitar)

I am really pleased with the tone that comes from my NRP resonator and the intonation is generally pretty good.

At the moment i am using the slightly imperfect intonation to try and make me less sensitive about complete accuracy.

But putting 59 strings, and other strings how do you find the intonation?

• Members

My Busker MM Blues is strung with Newtone Michael Messer National strings. I use the 16-58 nickel set, but you can also get this gauge in PB. Although I have tuned this set up to standard tuning, I tend to keep it in open G, open Gm or open D.

On my other resos and my solid bodied ones, I use the 13-52 sets, as I sometimes like to tune up to standard tuning.

• Members

On my Dean C-1, because it has a mag p/u. I've got it strung w/ GHS "White Bronze", which sounds pretty decent. Because I tune to "Open E", and because this axe seems a bit light, I use a Med-Light set that goes from .012 to .054.

On my lap Dobro, tuned "High G", I currently use a set of John Pearse Weissenborn Guitar Phosphor Bronze High Bass G Tuning, .015 - .052, 3130HB...so far, I like 'em a lot.

On my Oahu Hawaiian guitar, which also has a mag p/u, I'm still using GHS White Bronze X-Light (.010 to .048, as I keep this one in "Modern G" (GDGBDG, which is "Open E" up 3 half-steps)

Archived