New to buying an accoustic...

Pott

• Members

I do have two, but one's actually my mom's even though she doesn't play, and the other I got for free and I'm giving it away to a good friend. My mom's not great at all so I was looking into a new one.

I have right now an Ibanez PF60SCE which is very nice. Dread with solid spruce top, cutaway.

I play accoustic either with travis picking or a thumbpick. I play chord + picking more often than just chords, though I still do that a lot.

So what would be the best body style for me...? I was hesitating bretween a dread or a OM. I think I'd prefer an OM but I can't tell much just yet.

I have about, say, 500 euros to spend on this, if all goes well. I don't want to skimp.

Preamp or not is not important at all.

• Members

worldmusicsupply.com

Alvarez MD80 or MD60. $300 or so. Smokin' dreds, fabulous sound. If you like strumming and picking, the dred sound is very flexible and had a lot to offer. I'd stick with that, but you're getting that from a guy who loves the dred sound.

You can't beat the deal for the Alvarez models, since they are on closeout, and used to retail for about $500 US. Nice deal. Check it out.

• Members

Hmmm....if you're using a thumbpick, I think perhaps you prefer a boomy, resonant bass, which would steer me to a dread.

On the other hand, an OM would give you more balanced tones and more definition overall when picking without using the thumbpick.

So, the size and tonal qualities are going to be very subjective for you and I can only recommend that you play as many different guitars in your price range as possible. If it sings to your heart, that's the git that goes home with you.

I would suggest trying out Crafter or Tanglewood guitars. I am told that both are widely available on your side of the pond and are high-quality gits with modest prices.

Crafter guitars are gaining popularity here in the US and I've heard clips of several. I was impressed.

• Members

Look into Stanford guitars where you live. Far better than anything else in the same price range from my experience. I would imagine a PSD-10 or PSD-20 might be within your range. http://stanfordguitars.de/index.php?page=performer

Dealers...... http://stanfordguitars.de/index.php?page=dealers

Some of the Crafters (as Samilyn suggested) are pretty excellent as well, at least one I played locally sure was.

• Members

:thu:I got my MD80 Thursday. I'm just sittin' here lovin' it.

That is absolutely wonderful news Opa! Over about a year of owing it you should start to hear it "open up" and the tone will improve considerably(or should), but I'm sure you already know that.

I found mine to be a very bright and lively sounding guitar, especially with Elixir nanoweb strings. I personally found that polywebs work best on this particular guitar, though I prefer nanos on my Taylor.

Watch that humidity level, especially in the winter!

Post us a pic or two and a few sound clips when you get a chance.

RT1

Archived