Guitar detuning itself since I changes the strings... why ?

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I own a classical guitar which I like to jam around with from time to time. Lately I replaced all the strings (one broket, I thought the others where on their way too) but since then, the guitar doesn't stay in tune. It used to keep it's tuning quite well and the fact that it's detuning itself right now is a bit annoying.

Is there a reason why ? Bad strings ? Maybe I haven't installed the strings good enough (my big bass player's fingers had a hard time attaching the nylon strings to the guitar's bridge, but I thing I did a good job though) ? Do the strings need some time on tension to settle ?

Your input would be appreciated... if it's only a question of getting new strings, it's no big deal... but I don't want to do it if it's useless.

Thanks !

• Members

You can stretch them yourself. It will speed up the process. I would spend an hour or two really pulling on them, play a song, pull some more, play a song, pull some more, play a song, pull some more, etc.

I am assuming you tied the strings in a traditional manor? three twists, and a pinch under the string in the back of the bridge?

• Members

My personal habit is to put the strings on and tune it a full step higher for a day or two, not playing it for the duration,and then I find that they stretch and settle faster. I can get my ProArte nylons to settle in 4 or 5 days, and all I need to do then is tune up each time I play, which I do anyway. Try it and see if that fixes your issue.

• Members

You can stretch them yourself. It will speed up the process. I would spend an hour or two really pulling on them, play a song, pull some more, play a song, pull some more, play a song, pull some more, etc.

Stretching nylon strings by pulling on them is not recommended. Nylon has a bad tendency to stretch unevenly when pulled. This means that some segments may wind up with smaller diameters which can result in intonation problems.

The best solutions are:

• Members
Stretching nylon strings by pulling on them is not recommended. Nylon has a bad tendency to stretch unevenly when pulled. This means that some segments may wind up with smaller diameters which can result in intonation problems.

The best solutions are:

I guess I was a little too literal. I don't pull on them that hard. I just exercise them a lot. But your method does seem like a better alternative.

• Members

The best solutions are:

• Members

I am assuming you tied the strings in a traditional manor? three twists, and a pinch under the string in the back of the bridge?

Yes.

Reading all of your posts tells me it's only the strings settling in... No problem then... I can afford to be patient and wait for them to settle in really.

Thanks for all the input !

Archived