Dealing with drunk or just plain dumb people at gigs

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

As for on the gig, the wise one's have spoken. Thre are drunks, there are assholes, and there are drunken assholes. Just the weather wherever alcohol is served. I could only add "Hit 'em behind the ear with a sock full of bridge pins. As for the door kickers, I'd find whoever is the tenant of Party Central and give him the "I don't mind people having a good time, BUT..." speech. Phone him when it happens again. If it won't stop, file a written complaint to management, maybe twice, then go on to having them rousted by the Cops. If they bother you, they probably bother other tenants. If they don't stop, the manager may have to evict them. To evict them he needs grounds. That's why he needs your written complaints.

• Members

Look at it this way, if you get rid of all the drunks & stupid people at gigs,

you are going to find yourself seeing a lot of empty spaces. Complaining about

stupid people and drunks at gigs is like a heavy metal group complaining about seeing too many young white angry males at their concerts. It comes with the territory.

Abando

• Members

I often sit on the balcony at my apartment and just practice for a bit on one of my acoustics. The apartment complex I live in is across the street from a college, so a lot of college students live in the apartments, and there are a fair share of parties.

On several occasions drunk or just plain dumb people (usually guys) will see me playing and "ask" for me to play something, usually a song I don't know. I respectfully tell them I don't know that song, and then they get rather belligerent. At that point I just go back in my apartment and let them pound on my door for five minutes until the get bored.

In a gigging situation I simply won't be able to walk away. How do some of you that gig handle similar situations?

I have no idea how I'd deal with drunks and dumb asses at a gig, cause I don't gig.

I do know that if some drunk or dumb ass starts pounding on my door, I'm probably gonna get pissed and do something about it.

• Members

Groucho and WC Fields had great come backs....but in regards to music I always loved this one......

[YOUTUBE]vhaDA7TneL4[/YOUTUBE]

Mrs. Rittenhouse: You are one of the musicians? But you were not due until tomorrow.

Ravelli: Couldn't come tomorrow, that's too quick.

Spaulding: Say, you're lucky they didn't come yesterday!

Ravelli: We were busy yesterday, but we charge just the same.

Spaulding: This is better than exploring! What do you fellows get an hour?

Ravelli: Oh, for playing we getta ten dollars an hour.

Spaulding: I see...What do you get for not playing?

Ravelli: Twelve dollars an hour.

Spaulding: Well, clip me off a piece of that.

Ravelli: Now, for rehearsing we make special rate. Thatsa fifteen dollars an hour.

Spaulding: That's for rehearsing?

Ravelli: Thatsa for rehearsing.

Spaulding: And what do you get for not rehearsing?

Ravelli: You couldn't afford it...Heh...you see, if we don't rehearse, we don't play...And, if we don't play...That runs into money.

• Members

Look at it this way, if you get rid of all the drunks & stupid people at gigs,

you are going to find yourself seeing a lot of empty spaces. Complaining about

stupid people and drunks at gigs is like a heavy metal group complaining about seeing too many young white angry males at their concerts. It comes with the territory.

Abando

I'm not complaining about the drunk and/or stupid people, just wondering how to handle them when they become a problem.

• Members

So you sit outside your apartment and play, they come over and make a request, you say you don't know it, and then they bang on your door for 5 minutes?

Are you sure you don't actually live near a college and are actually across the street from a mental asylum?

• Members

Darkhorse, next time someone starts heckling, just ask them what's the best guitar you can get for around three hundred dollars. That question always make me run screaming from this forum everytime I see it.

Abando

• Members

i am a fan of not acknowledging said rudely behaving people. if youre on stage youre running the show...its your stage...just launch into the next song and dont acknowledge them

i also have a tendency if someone makes a snappy remark or something to just respond with a deadpanned "thats neat"

• Members

A couple that have worked well for me:

"Sir, at this point I would engage in a battle of wits with you, but I see you've come unarmed"

Or

"Isn't modern society a wonderful thing? Some of these people are here tonight without their care workers"

• Members

Hank Williams Sr. generally used the cheapest guitar he could find at gigs.. the reason was that he liked to break them over drunks heads..

try that;)

I often sit on the balcony at my apartment and just practice for a bit on one of my acoustics. The apartment complex I live in is across the street from a college, so a lot of college students live in the apartments, and there are a fair share of parties.

On several occasions drunk or just plain dumb people (usually guys) will see me playing and "ask" for me to play something, usually a song I don't know. I respectfully tell them I don't know that song, and then they get rather belligerent. At that point I just go back in my apartment and let them pound on my door for five minutes until the get bored.

In a gigging situation I simply won't be able to walk away. How do some of you that gig handle similar situations?

• Members

What do you do when they bang on your door for 5 minutes?

Just keep on practicing, except inside.

They ain't a problem anymore, the people who had the parties don't live in the apartments anymore (flunked out of college and had to go back home to their parents).

Archived