What adjustments should I consider here?

u6crash

• Members

A while back I posted a thread about getting my guitar back from the luthier and being unhappy with how it played. I just ran through the tests at the Annex and here are my results for the C350 (the one I'm happy with) and the C850 (the one that disappoints me).

C350:

Relief: About 0.015

Low E: 2/32"

High E:

The 24" rule hits just above the bridge and there is about 3/32" of saddle sticking out. With a capo on the second fret, I cannot see any clearance between the strings at the first fret.

C850:

Relief: 0.010

Low E: >3/32"

High E: >2/32"

The 24" rule hits about 2/32" below the bridge. With the capo on the second fret, I cannot see any clearance between the the strings at the first fret.

A couple questions here. First, since I don't have clearance between the strings and first fret with a capo on the second, should I be concerned if I'm presently happy with how the C340 plays?

Second, with the exception of where the 24" rule hits the bridge on the C850, it seems my action and relief are close to what should be expected, so is this more a matter of me not being used to the higher action or should I be concerned that the rule hits below the bridge?

Third, I don't have 4/32" or more of saddle sticking out for either guitar. I may be filing the saddle down on the C350 to accommodate an under the saddle pickup. When I do this should I shoot for having 4/32" even if I'm happy with the way it plays now?

Much thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

• Members

The most accurate means by which you can determine neck angle is by zeroing relief before measuring. Neck relief and poor humidity condition can influence readings and potentially lead to incorrect neck angle assessments. You'll normally need an Allen key/wrench for truss rod adjustments and a suitable in-case humidifier per each respective issue.

Are you capoing behind or ahead of the second fret? Capo at the bridge side of the second fret and this should help clarify matters and show whether you've clearance between fret crowns and the underside of strings.

Your guitar tech should have made all necessary adjustments and explained everything to you prior to returning your instruments.

I'd return both guitars to him, ask him to check them over with you present and ask as many questions as you think fit. They're your guitars and he is providing a service for which you've paid.

Two instruments with different set-ups for the same player is quite unusual, unless requested. If you're happy with the action on the C340/350 (?) I'd tend to set the other's action to match.

If installing under-saddle electrics I'd maintain your existing set-up by adjusting the saddle, unless you wish to increase or lower your action.

• Members

Part of the problem is that I recently moved and I'm not quite a distance from the same luthier.

I'll do the test with the capo again and see what I get (I'm not at home right now). Right now I'm using sponges inside of travel soap dishes with holes drilled in them as humidifiers, which had been in place well before I made my measurements.

Thanks for all the help. I'd like to continue to work on these myself as much as possible as I'm completely broke right now. I don't have the time to travel to the previous luthier and I can justify taking it in to another one when I have one guitar I'm happy with at the moment.

Archived