String gauge for 12-string.

Guitarist4life

• Members

I have a Luna Trinity 12 string that I want to restring. I know it came with 10's, but they sound so tiny. I think the guitars solid top is too thick because it almost sounds as low as an unplugged hollow bodied electric guitar.

I would like to try some 11's, but I'm afraid of snapping the bridge over time. It seems like too much tension for a 12 string. I've heard some people down tune their 12 strings when using heavier string gauges, but I want to tune it standard..

What do you guys think? any personal experiences?:confused:

• Members

11's are still considered "lights" by most string mfg's, so there shouldn't be any problem warranty-wise, but I may be wrong and a liar.

12's would require tuning down to maintain tension achieved with lights.

+1:thu: I agree with Rhancox, but I'm usually wrong and a liar. Occasionally I'm told to "STFU noob". :eek:

On almost the same topic, (not trying to hijack a thread) what about type of string for 12 string? 80/20, coated, phos/bronze, flat wound?

• Members

I customarily use 11-47 phos bronze on my Martin 12-er. As already said by Rhancox and Abluesguy, these are considered "lights" by most manufacturers. I believe these can be tuned to concert without risking the structural integrity of your 12-er, though I think your 12-er will give you more resonance and sustain if you tune down at least 1/2 step to Eb.

If you choose 12-53 (as I sometimes do for increased volume and resonance) I strongly recommend that you tune your git down a full step, to D. Again, as stated already, the downtuning will compensate for the increased tension produced by the heavier strings.

If you can afford to do so, go ahead and experiment with different metals (phos bronze, 80/20, etc) and gauges to see which brings out the best in your 12-er.

Additionally, when moving between different-gauged sets, you may find the need to tweak your truss rod just a wee bit for optimal neck relief. Just remember - a little tweak goes a long, long way, so only use a 1/16 to 1/8 turn at a time, then re-tune your git and see how it plays. 12-ers can be pretty finicky, but are definitely worth the effort.

Archived