The bottom line after 28 years of collecting guitars.

george black

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How can you say that when you dont even care for steel string gits??????

Good point. Regarding all guitars, I definitely have a soft spot for nylon string instruments. That said, I have had a steel string acoustic since I was 8 years old (44 years). I owned a Martin D28 and a Guild 12-string for many, many years. My current collection involves ~20 electric and acoustic guitars, the nylon stringers dominate. In the steel string acoustic department, a Collings OM and dreadnought occupy my "bottom line". Martin & Gibson are Iconic, to be sure, and as you say, they have and will continue to withstand the test of time. But my ears and fingers prefer Collings by a pretty wide margin. They are expensive guitars and so they had better well be top quality!

• Members

O K you got my respect. I actually thought of buying a Collins since they are made just up the street, but they are $$ and I just can not go off on another tangent. Hell if they are all that, and I have heard they are, what would I do then???????????

Right, don't do it......you might quit collecting which is a lot of fun! Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars have been in the hands of more famous musicians than any other brand. It's a great hobby to look for the good ones. (plus you are having fun making music all the while)

I'm a "collector" of sorts with my classical guitars, I have several instruments from a luthier from NYC who is considered the "dean" of American classical guitar lutherie.

(it's not Ricky, I promise)

It's a different scale, though. He has made about 800 guitars in his lifetime. Martin makes that in one day. Collings makes that in one year.

• Members

To queequeq.

Yes I will be glad to explain that statement. Martin made a CEO4 limited edition of 300 wonderful guitars. They are shaped like a gibj45. They look something like a gib J45, but not as pretty . They sound like a J45 but are CLEAR, LOUD, AND FRANKLY JUST WHAT I ALWAYS HOPED FOR IN A GIB J45. They are not muffled, without sustain.
They do not sound like they have been dropped in swimming pool.
Other than that I guess they are the same.

Okay this line made me :lol:

On some days that's exactly what my J45 sounds like. And it's not always humid days either.

• Members

There are a lot of nice sounding Gibsons around...and a few great sounding Epiphone Texans too. A decent set up is critical with a guitar like that, as are the right strings for how the guitar is set up. When I walk into Ed's shop, I am amazed at what he can do to make a guitar sound great. His 40 years of messing around with guitars has really given him an ear and talent that's hard to find. I wouldn't be afraid to buy anything, short of giving it to him to make right. Ed owns all kinds of Gibsons and other guitars and he thinks a new Gibson right out of the factory is worth owning....being that he is an expert and I am not, and how his Gibsons sound....I tend to agree with him.

I have played incredible sounding J45's, J50's, SJ's, and Epiphones from the 50's and 60's. I have played Gibson LG'2-3s as far back as from the 40's. It's probably true that a brand new one (like a lot of guitars) can use some playing time before they really open up, but to me that's not a real deterent. I would buy new, if I had the money AND I couldn't find a used one I liked.

Martins are equally nice and the D28's, though I have picked up a "dead" one at GC, are fantastic guitars...I was recently offer to buy a HD28V for $1300 and walked away...I was shaking. That guitar sounded and played marvelous.

But alas...I'm saving for my J45...when the monies all there....I'm buying one...period...I've wanted one for some time now, and to me, it will be (or become) my favorite go-to guitar.

• Members

There are a lot of nice sounding Gibsons around...and a few great sounding Epiphone Texans too. A decent set up is critical with a guitar like that, as are the right strings for how the guitar is set up. When I walk into Ed's shop, I am amazed at what he can do to make a guitar sound great. His 40 years of messing around with guitars has really given him an ear and talent that's hard to find. I wouldn't be afraid to buy anything, short of giving it to him to make right. Ed owns all kinds of Gibsons and other guitars and he thinks a new Gibson right out of the factory is worth owning....being that he is an expert and I am not, and how his Gibsons sound....I tend to agree with him.

I have played incredible sounding J45's, J50's, SJ's, and Epiphones from the 50's and 60's. I have played Gibson LG'2-3s as far back as from the 40's. It's probably true that a brand new one (like a lot of guitars) can use some playing time before they really open up, but to me that's not a real deterent. I would buy new, if I had the money AND I couldn't find a used one I liked.

Martins are equally nice and the D28's, though I have picked up a "dead" one at GC, are fantastic guitars...I was recently offer to buy a HD28V for $1300 and walked away...I was shaking. That guitar sounded and played marvelous.

But alas...I'm saving for my J45...when the monies all there....I'm buying one...period...I've wanted one for some time now, and to me, it will be (or become) my favorite go-to guitar.

Bottom line, man. :thu:

Archived